Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree. I find OCN ads to be exceptionally non-intrusive.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed117 View Post

Long as they can still be blocked by the user i would have no issue with this.
I do understand ocn needs ads for profits.
Yes, and any time I find a site like OCN that uses non-intrusive ads that you don't even notice unless you look for them.... I stick that site in my acceptable list and allow ads.

Gotta support the ones that treat us nice. And OCN is my fav site
smile.gif

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipze View Post

ocn uses an ad publisher which is blocked..

ocn does not have its own ad network as far as im aware..
That doesn't make any difference, adblock just adds websites to their whitelist, so even if someone had the same ads on another wesbite, they'd still be blocked.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If adblock doesn't block all ads there is no point it existing, so IMO there shouldn't be an acceptable ads list at all.

I'd just like to point out I don't block OCN ads though, everything else is blocked.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

If adblock doesn't block all ads there is no point it existing, so IMO there shouldn't be an acceptable ads list at all.

I'd just like to point out I don't block OCN ads though, everything else is blocked.
thumb.gif
You could still manually add the site to block list. It's just a way of supporting the good sites.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1541 View Post

thumb.gif
The point of it is to allow ads that aren't:
pop ups
huge java banners that flash
annoying with sounds
brightly contrasted with the rest of the webpage to make them stand out

It's like those little google ads at the bottom of some blogs and webpages, they don't really annoy anyone.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka16 View Post

That doesn't make any difference, adblock just adds websites to their whitelist, so even if someone had the same ads on another wesbite, they'd still be blocked.
The whitelist looks empty on default..it is the users job to fill that whitelist.

You are saying that they should have this site added to the white list by default which essentially makes no difference, (IE if you want ads to show, you add this site to whitelist, and if its already on whitelist, you can remove it)

Basically this is pointless suggestion

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Quote:

The whitelist looks empty on default..it is the users job to fill that whitelist.

You are saying that they should have this site added to the white list by default which essentially makes no difference, (IE if you want ads to show, you add this site to whitelist, and if its already on whitelist, you can remove it)

Getting it on a whitelist by default helps OCN. Whereas having the ads blocked, and letting users input it as an exception, vastly decreases the amount of ads displayed by default. People are reminded to block a sites ads by seeing them. If they aren't there, they just don't notice and go about their business, likely not thinking to unblock the ads.

So its just a way of punishing the offenders, and reward others for good behavior.

So while I see your point, the OP has a good point as well, and just wants to help OCN out.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

You don't understand how adblock works.

They have their own "acceptable ads" whitelist that you may not edit, but you may blacklist. By default, it is allowed so that little ads in the corner (usually without brightly colored images or HTML5, java, or flash elements). You can choose, at any time, to block those ads.

Now, completely unrelated to anything above, you have a whitelist, that you can make yourself to allow whatever ads you want, be it on your own site or whatever.

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonka16 View Post

You don't understand how adblock works.

They have their own "acceptable ads" whitelist that you may not edit, but you may blacklist. By default, it is allowed so that little ads in the corner (usually without brightly colored images or HTML5, java, or flash elements). You can choose, at any time, to block those ads.

Now, completely unrelated to anything above, you have a whitelist, that you can make yourself to allow whatever ads you want, be it on your own site or whatever.
theres different "adblocks" buddy

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:

theres different "adblocks" buddy
There are, but in this thread they are discussing Adblock Plus:

Quote:
Acceptable Ads Application

Adblock Plus blocks annoying ads. Still, many websites rely on advertising revenues so we want to encourage websites to use plain and unobtrusive advertising instead of flashy banners. These ads will not be blocked in the default settings of Adblock Plus so they will be seen by a much larger audience. You can read more about this initative here.
With that said I will show my support for OCN but it won't be by white-listing ads that I never click on. I trust OCN, but I do not trust third-party ads -- they're notorious for allowing (albeit accidentally) malicious content and if the ad network is down or not responding page load times become significantly longer
redface.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts