1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am trying out Linux Ubuntu just for fun
tongue.gif
and having some problems. Note that I have never tried it.

I used the windows installer from their website no problems there and installed and booted up Ubuntu. When it stated up it started lagging like hell, and when it stopped I couldnt click anything nor could I log in.

So yea, I need some help here, hope you can put up with my stupidity
wink.gif

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
The biggest problem is that you installed inside Windows. This is notorious for bugs and I NEVER recommend that people do this. I say, uninstall it, re-partition your HDD using something like Parted Magic 6 and install it properly. It is so much better.

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagelund View Post

Well allrighty then, thought I could take the easy way out
tongue.gif

Can I just use a USB for it then, I do I need to use a DVD?
You can use a USB
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I will need to get my self a new USB.. My old one is broken somehow ..
tongue.gif

Another quick question, when using a USB will it then install from the USB, or use it as a bootdrive? Just so Im sure
biggrin.gif

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Quote:

So, I will need to get my self a new USB.. My old one is broken somehow ..
tongue.gif

Another quick question, when using a USB will it then install from the USB, or use it as a bootdrive? Just so Im sure
biggrin.gif
It will install to the HDD
biggrin.gif

Are you sure you want to install Ubuntu? I recommend Xubuntu or Kubuntu over it. Check them out, they both look better than the current GUI on Ubuntu the now (unity.) IMO of course.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

It will install to the HDD
biggrin.gif

Are you sure you want to install Ubuntu? I recommend Xubuntu or Kubuntu over it. Check them out, they both look better than the current GUI on Ubuntu the now (unity.) IMO of course.
Tbh I have no idea what the hell Im doing
wink.gif
just wanted to try Linux out
tongue.gif

If you mean something is better I will try that out instead
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

I recommend trying "Xubuntu" then. Same underneath as Ubuntu, just a different and better GUI.
Xubuntu: http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/
Thx for the help, will see if I can get my hands on a new USB tomorrow, and then go play with it
biggrin.gif

I am hopefully going to get it to work on my own
wink.gif
if not, then I'll be back
tongue.gif

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Quote:

Thx for the help, will see if I can get my hands on a new USB tomorrow, and then go play with it
biggrin.gif

I am hopefully going to get it to work on my own
wink.gif
if not, then I'll be back
tongue.gif
It's a reaaaallllyyy simple install so you shouldn't have any problems - it's all GUI aswell. But yes, just post back with problems and I'll be happy to help.

·
Premium Member
5,047 Posts
i would advise against the daul boot method. and i second the use a virtual environment.. i much rather use virtual box over vmware. but to each their own on that choice. again also is my opinion. id stay away from kbuntu or xbuntu otr whatever. as one will give you that horrible horrible thing that has been destroying linux for years.. its called KDE. short for killing desktop environments :) and the other one is some lame ass xfce.. please keep in mind this is just my point of view. personally if you want to try a linux and your kinda of new. go with something like mint. and use cinnamon or mate for your DE. or just look for a good distro that still has the king Gnome2 (there is none better cept awesomeWM) for the DE.

this message has been brough to you by an anti-unbuntu gnome 2 fanboy. please enjoy.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
A good practice exercise is to create a VM and then create,let's say 6 virtual discs.When you reach the partition part of the install make the selection that allows you to have a root,usr,var,swap,temp,home partition and then apply different RAID configurations to each partition. I say "good practice" as you can do this virtualy as many times as it takes you to get it right,then you can do it for real.Only rule is the root partition must be RAID 1.With Linux you can while working off the same hdd use different RAID configurations for your partitions.In my example with 6 you group all like partitions together.There is a tool called the "LVM" that allows you to do this.Some "OK" tutorials on YouTube (I say OK as they go fast and do not have audio) I always used Debian for this work and it is good to get the vim editor installed (instead of just vi) as soon as possible.First thing after the install is do your updates.

·
Linux > All
1,676 Posts
+1 for xubuntu. I see more potential in gnome but xfce is a much easier transition if you are coming from a windows environment... I think anyway. Also the suggestion above about going with Gnome 2. There are very few if any distros that use it still, and as I've read development of gnome 2 is dying or dead, it has all switched to gnome 3 / gnome shell whatever it's called.

As far as VMs go I have been using virtual box for xubuntu. It's letting me learn it a bit but to be honest I think the vm is holding me back with what all I can do. Either that or I don't know how to setup the vm properly (more than likely). Something I plan on doing when I get a bit more money to play with is buy a modest laptop that will be 100% linux based. Can keep my main computer setup with windows and can google whatever problems I have without interruption. May be an option if you are serious about learning linux and such but at afraid to be without windows for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post

+1 for xubuntu. I see more potential in gnome but xfce is a much easier transition if you are coming from a windows environment... I think anyway. Also the suggestion above about going with Gnome 2. There are very few if any distros that use it still, and as I've read development of gnome 2 is dying or dead, it has all switched to gnome 3 / gnome shell whatever it's called.
As far as VMs go I have been using virtual box for xubuntu. It's letting me learn it a bit but to be honest I think the vm is holding me back with what all I can do. Either that or I don't know how to setup the vm properly (more than likely). Something I plan on doing when I get a bit more money to play with is buy a modest laptop that will be 100% linux based. Can keep my main computer setup with windows and can google whatever problems I have without interruption. May be an option if you are serious about learning linux and such but at afraid to be without windows for whatever reason.
Pretty easy to get the VM ok ,I do not think this is your issue. Really,set your disc size to 20gb,set your memory to 1gb and accept all other defaults.You can click on the icon of devices to add another one (like how I said to make a bunch of virtual discs to practice partitioning and LVM on).VM's are the best way to get the hang of a distro, if you make a mistake,just erase it and start over.I work off of DVD's initaly,then about half the way through you get the option to go to a mirror and make your install more complete.Don't forget to add vim as vi will make your life miserable.Linux is all about editing configuration files to suit your preferences(you edit with vim or nano,I am sure there are other choices but these are popular).

Think about this when you are thinking how you could have been done with what you want to do if you were in Windows.Linux will help expand your mind.There are so many different ways to configure and run a linux distro that your mind will really get a work out.Sure windows does all the base level stuff and does it well.Right now I am setting up my own PBX (telephone switching board) using Debian and asterix.The places and things you can go to and learn with a linux distro is pretty much unlimited.Since my instructor (and I think we all need a mentor to do the best we can with a Linux distro) started me out with Debian i will stay with Debian.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts