Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i built a retro gaming system but i have no heatsink except a dell one and im looking for a decent tower type cooler if they even exist for such an old socket. but quite frankly im not sure where to even begin since i didnt get into PC stuff till the core 2 duo and core 2 quad days.
Any recommendations would be a big help Eventually planning to run a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 Extreme.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,790 Posts
CNPS9500A should still be easy to find, it was one of the first coolers that worked on 478/479/775 IIRC. wouldn't pay more than ~$20 for one though, they're available new on Amazon for $35 but it's a bit steep for what it is.

going by this the 212 can be made to fit fairly easily

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,197 Posts
CNPS9500A should still be easy to find, it was one of the first coolers that worked on 478/479/775 IIRC. wouldn't pay more than ~$20 for one though, they're available new on Amazon for $35 but it's a bit steep for what it is.
Good call. $29 at NewEgg and Fry's.

·
Premium Member
18,187 Posts
i wished i knew what parts went with few tuniq towers i have in my closet i believe those were great with 478 back in the day.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Premium Member
27,112 Posts
Good call The Pook! (y)

Did a seach myself only finding stock coolers on this side of pond

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
Eeeeehhhh. A fellow retro enthusiasts! I have a socket 478 system too, but I just zip tied a noctua fan to the stock cooler :p. What is your setup?

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eeeeehhhh. A fellow retro enthusiasts! I have a socket 478 system too, but I just zip tied a noctua fan to the stock cooler :p. What is your setup?
sorry for the super late reply, some stuff went down.
I built this earlier yesterday. Pentium 4 2,4GHz HT, ASUS P4P800 , 4GB DDR400, PNY GeForce 6800 GT, 150GB WD Veliciraptor and a thermaltake chaser a71 Snow and an ancient antec earthwatts i've had since like 2006 xD

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
Oh wow I have a P4P 800-E deluxe. It is really similar to your board, maybe the same one. Works great in windows 98!

Like I said, I just zip tied an 80mm noctua fan to my heatsink and it works well enough for my 3.06ghz 800mhz FSB northwood. Personally I prefer the Northwood cores because they run a bit cooler.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh wow I have a P4P 800-E deluxe. It is really similar to your board, maybe the same one. Works great in windows 98!

Like I said, I just zip tied an 80mm noctua fan to my heatsink and it works well enough for my 3.06ghz 800mhz FSB northwood. Personally I prefer the Northwood cores because they run a bit cooler.
im not sure what the differences are, mine isnt the delux just the normal P4P800. Was a huge pain in the backside to update the bios too it was on the original bios so it wouldn't boot from usb so i had to make a bootable floppy drive and go from there. I'd like to get a 3GHz+ but i kinda blew my money on an AM2 motherboard and a phenom II 840T and 8gb ram for it. I actually used the dell cooler that came with my optiplex it used standard mounting holes, i dont know for sure what the cpu temps are since i only see it in the bios but i did a slight overclock from 2.4 to 2.614 and the heatsink doesnt get very warm. only oddity i noticed is no matter what Vcore setting i set it to it pushes 1.61V into the cpu and im not sure why.
Right now i got vista 32 bit installed since its a bit easier to work with than xp.I'm pretty sure mine is also a northwood chip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts