Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev2.0 with F11 bios and a E6850 running at the stock speed of 3Ghz (I hope to change that soon) with Kingston HyperX 2X 1GB PC8500 DDR2 (1066Mhz) Memory (KHX8500D2K2/2GN.

I can run the memory fine at its normal speed,800mhz at 1.8V with 5-5-5-18 timings (all auto settings in my bios).

If I try and run it at 1066mhz at 2.2V my motherboard gives it 5-7-7-24 timings and my system becomes unstable/fails Memtest, even if I set the timings to 5-5-5-15 its still unstable/fails Memtest.

Ive attached screenshots of CPU-Z and my BIOS with my memory at 1066Mhz.

Any ideas on how to make my memory run at 1066Mhz and make my system stable would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729
View Post

You RAM in not on there supported list. You can try an RMA but unless you really need the speed wish just run it at 800.

Oh so theres no chance of it running at 1066Mhz?

·
System *****
2,527 Posts
if your at 2.2v and 5-7-7-24.... nah give up lol before you fry something.
You could try cas at 6 ?
Is it stable then ?
Try cas at 6

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
at 2.2 volts try

6-5-5-18

If that doesn't work try

6-6-5-18

If that doesn't work try

6-6-6-18

Etc

Keep going till stable

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggster
View Post

at 2.2 volts try

6-5-5-18

If that doesn't work try

6-6-5-18

If that doesn't work try

6-6-6-18

Etc

Keep going till stable

Ok,i'll try 6-5-5-18 then ill run Memtest

·
System *****
2,527 Posts
Yah try cas at 6...
If not then try the above settings
Then try cas at 7....

you cant give up just cuz cas 5 doesnt work....

But any higher then cas 7 you might as well just run it at 800mhz
or be using ddr3 that can handle the speeds at cas 7+

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arakasi View Post
Yah try cas at 6...
If not then try the above settings
Then try cas at 7....

you cant give up just cuz cas 5 doesnt work....

But any higher then cas 7 you might as well just run it at 800mhz
or be using ddr3 that can handle the speeds at cas 7+
What do you mean by trying cas 7? 6-7-6-18?

·
System *****
2,527 Posts
Oh sorry...

The first digit is your cas latency

5-4-4-12
{ in these set of timings your cas is 5 }

cas latency is the delay time which takes place between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular column in a selected row, and the moment the data from the given array location is read from the module's output pins.

The lower the CAS latency (given the same clock speed), the less time it takes to fetch data from it. So in novice terms, 'the lower CAS latency, the better it is.' The latency influences memory operation instructions, such as fetching next instruction for CPU execution, read/write/compare/bitshift/etc operations, etc. The larger the timing, the more the CPU has to 'wait' for memory to respond to a request, so various solutions exist to work-around this problem whenever possible, like interleaving (allowing writes to be spread among few memory banks) or cache (allowing temporary storage of data in use and (sometimes) smart synchronization with memory modules)

Those are quotes from wikipedia. Not me.
Nonetheless they are excellent definitions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh so 7-5-5-18?
Should I try 7-5-5-15? As 5-5-5-15 at 2.2V is what Kingston say the memory should run at to attain 1066Mhz.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 18 is # 1 View Post
Can you pass Memtest at 1666 MHz 5-5-5-15 2.2v?
If not, you need to RMA the RAM.
I haven't tried running it at 1666 Mhz as my memory is only rated at 1066 Mhz. If I run it at 1666 Mhz is there a chance of frying it?

Apon going into my bios, there is no option for me to select that speed.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krisby
View Post

I haven't tried running it at 1666 Mhz as my memory is only rated at 1066 Mhz. If I run it at 1666 Mhz is there a chance of frying it?

I'm pretty sure that was a typo. If it doesn't work at the manufacturer's ratings, its defective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

I'm pretty sure that was a typo. If it doesn't work at the manufacturer's ratings, its defective.

I thought it may of been a typo but I decided to check anyway, my memory works fine at its standard 800 Mhz but its just when I try to get it to 1066 Mhz it starts to act up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 18 is # 1
View Post

Your RAM is guaranteed to run 1066 5-5-5-15 at 2.2v

Yes,I know that. It just doesn't want stable with my motherboard. When I brought my memory and motherboard I assumed that Kingston memory and a Gigabyte motherboard would be compatible as they are both large pc part manufactures but I have assumed wrong. :swearing:

On the next system I build ill do more research on what memory is compatible with the motherboard I select.

·
Registered
862 Posts
thats pretty much always the first thing you gotta look at...which memory runs best on which board. always do research for 10 mins and you'll save yourself ALOT of headaches.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts