Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there!

I recently built my first gaming rig, was loads of fun. Guess ill start with my specs.

Asus prime z370-a mobo ( my ram is on the supported list for this mobo )
gtx 1080ti ftw3
G.skill trident 3600mhz
Timing 16-16-16-36
CAS Latency 16

Everything went pretty smoothly except my ram speed. I made sure I bought samsung b-die ram, assuming it would be easier to get it to it's rated speed ( i was wrong har har). I've probably spent 10-12 hours tweaking with the settings and nothing has been fully stable. XMP won't boot at all for me. I've updated mobo bios. I had it set to 3000mhz, and everything else was set to auto. I was getting random blue screen's of death after gaming for an hour or more, and it turns out it was setting my system agent voltage and my VCCIO to like 1.3, and my DRAM voltage to 1.47, which was causing me to have memory errors.

I'm now at 2666mhz, 1.35DRAM voltage, and 1.1 VCCIO, 1.1 system agent voltage and I'm completely stable.

Since I bought 3600mhz ram, I was hoping to at least be able to utilize it and get it to 3200mhz. I've never tinkered with the timings, I've always left them auto, I don't know if that's what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be sooooooooo appreciated!

If you want any screen shots of anything, let me know.

This is the ram kit

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...232437&cm_re=3600_ddr4-_-20-232-437-_-Product

Here's pictures of my bios, need anymore info, let me know.

https://imgur.com/a/6xbgP

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is the ram in the slots suggested by the manual?
Try one stick at a time its possible one is a dud if so the kit needs to go back for rma

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the ram in the slots suggested by the manual?
Try one stick at a time its possible one is a dud if so the kit needs to go back for rma

They are in the right slots as per the manual, by try one, do you mean try one stick with XMP enabled?

·
professional curmudgeon
10,392 Posts
sorry the best i can suggest is looking through this thread

ASUS Z370 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

btw, that mobo can use 4000mhz ram, yours @3600 should not be an issue let alone 3200, thats what you paid for. check that thread as i suggest; i believe some have had to manually copy the xmp settings w/a small voltage adjustment.

·
Registered
517 Posts
by try one, do you mean try one stick with XMP enabled?
Yes try one stick then the other to see if one is a dud
Trying the other slots may also be worth a go just to rule out different hardware problems

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weird new development, I cleared CMOS, and still didn't work. So I tied each ram individually, each ram will run to 3200 by itself. I've never gone faster than 3000 when using both at the same time. So one weird interesting thing, so as per the mother board, the ram goes in slots 1 and 3 of my mobo. I tried running both sticks of ram, and switching which ram was in slot 1 and which one was in slot 3. It will run at 3000 one way, but if I switch the ram which was in slot 3, and put that one in slot 1, both sticks wont post any faster than 2133. Unsure if I described this correctly? This seems very strange.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That does seem odd that both sticks will run 3200 on there own but staying it 1\3 and reversing which stick is first drops the max oc to 2133?
What happens if you place them in slot 2\4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts