Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor that's about 150ft (don't trust this number) away from my router (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127215) doesn't have internet anymore and I want her to be able to share with me.

To give you a better perspective:
I was right outside her door and I was able to pick up a very weak wireless G signal from my laptop.

I'm trying to find a USB wireless adapter that she can plug into her laptop so she can pick up the Wireless N signal from her laptop, but the question is, what's the USB wireless adapter found on newegg or some other convenient electronics store that will receive the best signal?

I don't want to tell her to buy one and then find out that it won't work.

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Any wireless N should do. But I would buy one that was recommended "Use with Xtreme N Adapters (DWA-552, DWA-556, DWA-643, or DWA-652)" Some routers have range expanding features and such but you also need an adapter that works with the technology of the type of range expanding the router uses. She can also buy something like a range booster that would pick up your signal and re-emit it just like she was right next to the router. Either way wireless n has an outdoor range of 820ft. I would minus 30ft for every wall it passes through. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_N#Comparison

I would buy locally that way if it doesn't work you can run to the store and exchange it. Nothing is worse than waiting for shipping imo.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Uh. You're possibly going to run into a problem. Possibly. If she has a laptop, she's ultimately going to want to use her laptop as, well, a laptop. Which means she's probably going to want to be able to use her laptop in her bedroom, in the living room, on the kitchen counter, etc.

I have a feeling that any wireless option you choose, short of going with a professional solution, is not going to offer her complete wireless coverage throughout her entire house.

I'd suggest you manage her expectations first and let her know where she might be limited to in terms of using the internet.

----

If she's one of those people that uses the laptop-as-a-desktop in a single spot in the home, you can get a DD-WRT-capable router and turn the router into a wireless bridge. Use the bridge to connect to your router, and connect her laptop to the bridge using standard ethernet.

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
I say buy a N adapter from wal mart and try it out. If it doesnt work you can get a full refund. As the other guy stated she will probably be limited to where she can use it but beggers can't be choosers right?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would get a cheap router and flash it to with DD-WRT. then you can run it in repeater bridge mode and give her, her own passcode and unbridge her so she wont have access to your network.

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
I think the best option is to bury a 200ft ethernet cord, run it to her house, then set up a ethernet>wireless adapter there. That way she'll get a strong signal and be able to move freely to any room she wishes without signal loss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts