Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total newb and been following this guide here since I heard the 9900k and 10700k are pretty much identical with just some minor changes:
How can you overclock your Intel 9th Gen CPU up to 5GHz with MSI Z390 motherboards? Here are a few tips you should know!

I ran 5.1GHz all core, 47 Ring Ratio with 1.29 Vcore, LLC Auto and it passed Cinebench R23, temps were normal like it wasn't OC'ed. I haven't tried to daily-stable test it with Prime95 but I just want to push straight to 5.2 now.

After I entered 52 Ratio the machine won't even POST, I gradually increased the Vcore 0.005 - 0.01 step at a time and it booted into the login screen at about 1.31, but dumped a BSOD right after.
At 1.335 I can enter Windows and mess around, but running Cinebench will BSOD the system immediately.
At 1.345 Cinebench will run for 10-15 seconds before BSOD
At 1.365 Cinebench can complete 60% of the first render before BSOD
At 1.380 Cinebench can complete the first render, 10 seconds of the second render before BSOD. The highest temp recorded was 91 during the first render, which is not something I'm happy but still can live with, considering it just using an air cooler (NH-D15)

And now I'm already sitting on 1.390, Ring Ratio 48, the rest are the same. Temps are 3 - 4°C higher than normal while idling. Do I keep increasing the Vcore till it passes Cinebench? Or am I doing something wrong?

Here's how my BIOS looking like:
Font Display device Multimedia Screenshot Composite material
Product Font Display device Multimedia Electronic device
Font Technology Screenshot Multimedia Advertising
Product Font Software Electronic device Technology

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*update: on Vcore 1.390 Cinebench crashes after 15 seconds of running. When I click Run again, BSOD. Temps are off the chart, I'm looking at 96-98 just by that 15 seconds.
*update: 15 minutes in Horizon Zero Dawn and it's looking fine.

·
Rig Advisor
3,673 Posts
*update: on Vcore 1.390 Cinebench crashes after 15 seconds of running. When I click Run again, BSOD. Temps are off the chart, I'm looking at 96-98 just by that 15 seconds.
Need to know your system specs. D15 is a great cooler, but 5.2 might be pushing the limits of air.

• Rep+
Reactions: storm-chaser

·
Watercooler
3,374 Posts
Some CPUs will require an insane amount of voltage to jump from say 5.1 to 5.2Ghz. Just be happy with 5.1 and move on. You will likely need over 1.4v to stabilize.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay I'm a bit scared because the chip just drawn 246W and the temps sky rocketed then my PC went poof. I'll just stop and wait for your helps.
Font Rectangle Line Technology Wood

·
Rig Advisor
3,673 Posts
Okay I'm a bit scared because the chip just drawn 246W and the temps sky rocketed then my PC went poof. I'll just stop and wait for your helps.
View attachment 2528586
I don't know if we can help if your PC went "Poof". Is there a reason you are trying to push so far on air?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if we can help if your PC went "Poof". Is there a reason you are trying to push so far on air?
I think it's just automated shut down due to thermal throttling. It's fine.
That was at 5.1GHz all core, 48 Ring Ratio with 1.335 Vcore, LLC 4. I passed CB with 1.29 but couldn't run Prime95, so I increased it and it started running for 5-7 minutes @1.335 then it happened.
Probably I'm just curious to see how far I can push this thing without 'water' as much as possible.

·
Watercooler
3,374 Posts
That was at 5.1GHz all core, 48 Ring Ratio with 1.335 Vcore, LLC 4. I passed CB with 1.29 but couldn't run Prime95, so I increased it and it started running for 5-7 minutes @1.335 then it happened.
Probably I'm just curious to see how far I can push this thing without 'water' as much as possible.
You won't be able to go too far. I would say 5Ghz would be pushing it. I mean if you can't run a sustained load for an extended period of time what's the point of the overclock? Back it down to 5Ghz and leave it there. Heat and silicon = fast degradation. Also you could try and lower your ring ratio to 4.5Ghz or less.

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
Im working on a very similar OC as you with my 9600KF right now.
I'm going to post a screenshot of my initial overclock. This will pass most benchmarks but fails after about 25 minutes torture test. So I am close but not quite there yet. I have plenty of headroom with the cooling system and that may be limiting your chip. I have three 120mm rads, one 240mm rad (passive, external) and one 360mm rad at the bottom of the case, two freezemod 800L/H pumps, two big reservoirs (apprx 1.5 qt) in total and a heatkiller IV cooper water block. So I will be adding a little more voltage now and see if I can get it to pass.

One thing to keep in mind, running a high ring ratio my limit your OC headroom, reason being cache can sometimes be more thirsty than cores, so with high clocked NB you might be holding yourself back a little bit in terms of peak clocks. For example, I went from 1.373v to 1.210 by doing nothing other than lowering my cache ratio from 4900MHz to 4500Mhz. Paradoxically, this results in lower memory latency! But it might help you push the cores a bit harder with a lower NB speed (I would recommend 4500) while at the same time generating less heat.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
And now I'm already sitting on 1.390, Ring Ratio 48, the rest are the same. Temps are 3 - 4°C higher than normal while idling. Do I keep increasing the Vcore till it passes Cinebench? Or am I doing something wrong?
I would do nothing but lower the cache down to 45 and then re- test with CB . That will tell you where where the bottleneck is.

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
You won't be able to go too far. I would say 5Ghz would be pushing it. I mean if you can't run a sustained load for an extended period of time what's the point of the overclock? Back it down to 5Ghz and leave it there. Heat and silicon = fast degradation. Also you could try and lower your ring ratio to 4.5Ghz or less.
I see you already suggested lower the cache speed. Yep it can definitely help. And I also agree that he's probably reaching the limit of his cooling system at 5+ Ghz.

If I was you, I would set out for the magical 5.0GHz OC instead of trying to push it to the limit. Temps in the 90s is no good and it's now apparent you will need over 1.4 to be stable at 5.2.

Another thing, this is a bit radical but you could try disabling two cores and see if that offers any improvement in your OC headroom with that cooler. Most games and programs never use all 8 cores, even 6 cores is future proof for a long time. Point being, disabling two cores is not going to slow you down in any regard whatsoever.
So yeah, it would turn your chip into a six core, but it will also help lower heat and therefore may offer high clock speeds.

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
I have LLC set to auto (I also have an MSI board z390 ACE)
Under this load, my vcore goes from 1.383 to 1.400
Max temp being 171*F

Personal computer Computer Font Electronic device Screenshot

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
Agreed.

I think he should shoot for 5.0GHz because it actually may be attainable. I think he should be able to get away with a vcore of 1.250 @ 5.0GHz? Because that was all I needed for my 9600K at that speed.

Funny, I almost prefer to run the lower clock speed for some reason. I guess I just like seeing 5.0 in the lower right corner of my screen. Hard to explain you I think you guys know what I'm trying to say.

·
Watercooler
3,374 Posts
I have LLC set to auto (I also have an MSI board z390 ACE)
Under this load, my vcore goes from 1.383 to 1.400
Max temp being 171*F

View attachment 2528638
I would lower your overclock to under 1.35V. Not safe to run over 24/7. That difference between 5Ghz and 5.2Ghz is negligible. Also you should set your LLC to turbo or Level 4. Whatever your motherboard manufacture recommends. The way voltage changes on an AUTO LLC is dangerous to a CPU. The voltage ripples under a oscilloscope, which is dangerous. For instance, AORUS Z390 has a OC guide and they recommend to users to use TURBO LLC. Always trust what a manufacturer says :)!

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
I would lower your overclock to under 1.35V. Not safe to run over 24/7. That difference between 5Ghz and 5.2Ghz is negligible. Also you should set your LLC to turbo or Level 4. Whatever your motherboard manufacture recommends. The way voltage changes on an AUTO LLC is dangerous to a CPU. The voltage ripples under a oscilloscope, which is dangerous. For instance, AORUS Z390 has a OC guide and they recommend to users to use TURBO LLC. Always trust what a manufacturer says :)!
Yeah, MSI's own OC guide recommends AUTO for LLC :)
Here is a direct snip:
Product Font Material property Screenshot Technology

(which is actually mode 3.) In this scenario there is very minimal voltage changes from idle to load. I've found it to be the most ideal setting, as I've tested LLC from top to bottom on this rig. So MSI has at right.

Voltage is fine, especially if you have a decent cooling system, like what I've got on this rig.
I know people with 9900Ks that have been running 1.4v for years now, it's well within acceptable limits.
There is no risk of degradation.

Please ignore people that are telling you it's unsafe. 1.4v is not unsafe or risky for damage at all. The last few generations of intel have been able to handle 1.4v daily easy.

The limiting factor for this chip is the thermals. If your cooler can handle 1.4v then its fine.

·
Twin Turbski
522 Posts
also, keep in mind, this 5.2GHz OC above is done with very conservative fan speeds and pump speeds. Like 600 rpm on my fans and about 30% power on my two water pumps. Since this is a 24/7 daily OC I want as little noise as possible while still staying within acceptable parameters.

Also note when I crank up the pumps and fans I can get a stable OC at 5.3GHz so this processor has seen sustained voltages of well over 1.4 volts with no problems at all. I had it like that for nearly a year.

But I do agree, it's best to not fight for the last few hundred MHz because these CPUs are blistering fast even at 5.0GHz and the requirements for voltage go up exponentially once you go by 5.0Ghz

·
Registered
268 Posts
Some CPUs will require an insane amount of voltage to jump from say 5.1 to 5.2Ghz. Just be happy with 5.1 and move on. You will likely need over 1.4v to stabilize.
This, it’s not a linear pattern, it’s exponential at some point. I have overclocked multiple Intel CPUs in each generation since Core 2 between my rig and friends. Every one has got to a point where for say previous multiplier was .05v to get next 100mhz and the last one required like .15v to eve get it to boot to windows. You may just not be able to do 5.2 on your chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Facepalm
10,320 Posts
NH-D15 cannot handle this voltage. You need water. People have problems getting 10700k 5.2 ghz stable on water and you're trying to do this on air...
I had two 10900k's. One was perfectly stable at 5.2 in Cinebench R20/R23 on water (1.238v load I think), the second needed 1.30v load OR under 80C to be stable at 5.2.
And Minecraft? Don't get me started. Internal Parity Errors or L0 errors up the wazoo on the second chip unless I set it to 1.5v IN BIOS...

That was on water. On NH-D15, the second chip couldn't go higher than 5.0 without hitting 100C. What you're trying to do is unrealistic.

Back down to 5.0 ghz at 1.25v or 1.30v bios set and just leave it there.

• Rep+
Reactions: storm-chaser
1 - 20 of 29 Posts