Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I don't really know where to put this thread, so I put it here. Correct me if I'm wrong and replace my thread
wink.gif

I have a serious problem. I formatted an HDD while there were still tons of photos stored on it. Don't ask me how, I just forgot.
Now, I've found some free software that retrieved alot of photos for me, but they are all corrupted JPG files. Now, I have downloaded a program to retrieve corrupted JPG files, and it kind of works, but it costs 50 dollars, so I say 'No thank you sir'.

Is there anyone who can help me? Are there any free programs to recover corrupted JPG files?

Note: I'm only looking for a program to recover corrupted photos because I have the files, I don't need a program to retrieve photos from my HDD.

Thanks in advance!

·
Windows Wrangler
2,237 Posts
Well, let me go back a little bit: The photos obviously exist because that other program was able to recover them. A quick-format only wipes out parts of the filesystem itself, and leaves most all of the data fully intact. A full-format completely zeros the drive, and nothing would be recoverable then.

That leaves the option that while most of the photos are in perfect condition on the HDD, the program you used retrieved them incorrectly, corrupting them in the process. I suggest that you start the recovery over again with Recuva (I'm assuming that this isn't the same program you used). When you start Recuva, bypass the wizard. Click [Options], go to the "Actions" tab, and enable "Deep Scan", "Scan for non-deleted files" and "Restore folder structure." Then click [OK], select the formatted disk in the dropdown on the upper-left and click "Scan." When it is done scanning, recover the photos to a different disk (important), and see if these recovered photos are corrupted or not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

Well, let me go back a little bit: The photos obviously exist because that other program was able to recover them. A quick-format only wipes out parts of the filesystem itself, and leaves most all of the data fully intact. A full-format completely zeros the drive, and nothing would be recoverable then.

That leaves the option that while most of the photos are in perfect condition on the HDD, the program you used retrieved them incorrectly, corrupting them in the process. I suggest that you start the recovery over again with Recuva (I'm assuming that this isn't the same program you used). When you start Recuva, bypass the wizard. Click [Options], go to the "Actions" tab, and enable "Deep Scan", "Scan for non-deleted files" and "Restore folder structure." Then click [OK], select the formatted disk in the dropdown on the upper-left and click "Scan." When it is done scanning, recover the photos to a different disk (important), and see if these recovered photos are corrupted or not.
Sir, you are my HERO! I got all of my photos back. Really, I'm so grateful
smile.gif
many thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts