Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

We'll test 26 graphics card configurations from AMD and Nvidia across all price ranges using the latest official drivers for every card. Our test bed will feature an Intel Core i7-3960X to remove any CPU bottlenecks that could influence high-end GPU scores.

We'll use Fraps to measure frame rates during 90 seconds of gameplay footage from Borderlands 2's second level, "Southern Shelf." The test begins at the start of the level and here the frame rate is quite high as there is little scenery. However, the frame rate quickly dives as the player walks out into an open area and battles some Brat Bullymong.
Source

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ya with physx on high, I had to push my 1090t up to 4.4 in order to stay over 60 fps at 3072x1280. Just grabbed a 560ti to take a stab at hybrid physx, so I can back the thuban back.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hopefully my 9800GT will be able to play it.... be it on my 22'' or 17'' monitor (1920x1080 vs 1280x1024, most likely the latter)... either way it seems like it's nicely optimized when GTX 460 can yield such framerates. Also nice to see it utilizing quadcores like that.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
So they tested Physx on Nvidia cards vs Physx offloaded to the CPU on AMD cards?

Sure the i7-3960X can handle it ..... I wonder about my AMD chip?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Nvidia cards are doing pretty well against the competition apparently.
Also it's nice to see a game that apparently runs better on SB-E
wheee.gif
Considering that it was developed using PhysX and optimized for Nvidia, that's kind of to be expected. It's also worth noting that they don't mention the clock speed of the AMD cards, so you don't know what speed they're running at, if it's the original speeds at release or the GHz edition cards.

It is nice to see games that aren't just Source games making use of larger L3 cache. Now they just need to make more core agnostic games that scale across cores better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhova View Post

So they tested Physx on Nvidia cards vs Physx offloaded to the CPU on AMD cards?
Was it offloaded to the CPU or were they running an Nvidia card as a PhysX card? They're not clear about their methods.

·
Banned
518 Posts
Doesn't surprise me you need a quality CPU. Some fights in the game get ridiculously intense and there is a million things going on. The review is vague about so many things though, not very well done at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhova View Post

Exactly. Poor methodology and extremely vague

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Wait, what.....how? How are they getting such good fps with high physx on the 7970 and i7 3770k?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I think they are missing an important factor.

"High" PhysX on AMD, even when the processor can handle it, is limited in comparison to running it through the GPU. There's big differences, I've seen it first hand when playing LAN co-op. The game seems to limit it when a NVIDIA GPU is not present.

·
Gamer
3,673 Posts
Very interesting, I think I'd use the physx on my CPU considering my GPU isn't all that great.
thumb.gif

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulerxx View Post

Very interesting, I think I'd use the physx on my CPU considering my GPU isn't all that great.
thumb.gif
How do you even get an AMD GPU to render some Physx?

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

How do you even get an AMD GPU to render some Physx?
You don't.

Even though the review is pretty vague I'd say the only possibility here is that they used a separate NV card for all setups when testing PhysX. They wouldn't be talking about hybrid PhysX otherwise.

·
Gamer
3,673 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujsetia View Post

This is shocking if you are an Nvidia Fanboy....
tongue.gif

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-performance/page5.html
My coop roommate is on AMD. I've seen both side by side with 52 hours currently played according to steam (we are already level 50 and beat playthrough 2...) and I think the reviewer is biased and/or blind. The PhysX on NVIDIA is definitely better. More noticeable with some effects than others. Not sure what areas they used to test.

Get the right type of weapons, shoot it a bunch, and the difference between them is night and day in particle effects... at least with our testing. Cloth simulation is definitely better on the NVIDIA computer, and some monster death animations have more particles. Both are on max settings.

P.S. I know we've been playing ~15 hours a day. The game is very addictive.
tongue.gif

·
OG OC
2,233 Posts
I don't know about others rigs, but with mine I've only seen the frame rate drop below 60 one time in 33 hours played. Every setting maxed, including PhysX, and my video cards running at stock clocks. I call that good enough.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts