Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
BT and as5 among other things should be here tomorrow, I'm shooting for 3ghz to prove a point, and I'll settle at 2.8-2.9ghz depending on temps and such..ahh, I'm excited!!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There is a newer version of the BT out: Big Typhoon VX. Same as the original but has a better more powerful fan and easier mount system.

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-big-typhoon-vx.html

Don't forget to lap your BT once you get it - cheapest way to shave a few degrees off your temps and get higher oclock rates.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
thanks for the info on the VX, I looked at it but I felt better with spending $40 on the regular BT shipped from the egg.. I have a few high CFM 120mm fans around here too, so that shouldnt be a problem..

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEddie

thanks for the info on the VX, I looked at it but I felt better with spending $40 on the regular BT shipped from the egg.. I have a few high CFM 120mm fans around here too, so that shouldnt be a problem..

Yeah, that newegg deal is good for $40. Let us know how your temps go with the new BT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go with BT. I hope you realize that you have to remove your motherboard for installation. If this is too much of a pain, go with your other option.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
bah! my mobo and freshly lapped LDBFE 3800x2 are sitting out awaiting the arrival of the almighty BT
2000mhz

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEddie

bah! my mobo and freshly lapped LDBFE 3800x2 are sitting out awaiting the arrival of the almighty BT
2000mhz

And mighty it is - if you can somehow fit it inside your case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just ordered a tube of this stuff. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835121005 Apparently its only for copper heatsinks, but its got some real nice reviews out there. Some saying 3-4C drop in temps over AS5, figure its worth a shot, will let you guys know how it stacks agaisnt the AS5 with a scythe ninja.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
When the Big Typhoon arrives, look at the screws they send in the packet.
Try to reuse the original motherboard screws if able because they are a heavier gauge (larger diameter with the DFI Ultra D anyway).
If the stock mobo screws are too short, go to the hardware store and get the same ones 1/4" longer. Makes a huge difference in mounting strength.

I've also used velcro sticky to my psu above, and hung a line down to the BT grill to help support the cantilevered weight even more. Cool temps as
a result and I dont worry about mobo flex.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenzo

Try to reuse the original motherboard screws if able because they are a heavier gauge (larger diameter with the DFI Ultra D anyway).
If the stock mobo screws are too short, go to the hardware store and get the same ones 1/4" longer. Makes a huge difference in mounting strength.

I've also used velcro sticky to my psu above, and hung a line down to the BT grill to help support the cantilevered weight even more. Cool temps as

Possibly get a pic of that?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyyboii

Possibly get a pic of that?

I was to get a pic of that about a month ago but never did get a camera for the shot. It does work well though. The velcro strap came with the OCZ power supplies I've bought in the past (variety pack of colors to choose from).
One day I'll get to it.

The PSU sits to the top end of the case. Use a nice piece of sticky part to the
psu. Custom cut a long thin strip that reaches to the Big Typhoon grill and wrap the top grill metal, presto. Since the hanging strap hasd velcro on it, I used it to mount a 60mm fan pointing to the memory sticks (275fsb) to cool them down.
Simple mod that took less than 5 minutes and looks sanitary and neat.
WORTH YOUR EFFORTS!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I've been using the stock BT fan and its worked well.
Haven't seen cpu temps over 45C stress tested ever. Wish I could say the same for my GPU temps!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenzo

Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaKing
Lol, yeah he has about 400Mhz to go before his LDBFE is maxed out.

Get the BT, and then bolt a silverstone FM121 to it. Load temps of 41C at 1.4v here. Ahhh, its nice.

I <3 Thermaltake and Silverstone.
Load of 39C at 1.5 is nicer.
But I've only got a single core Sandy... But still.

<3 Thermaltake and Thermaltake.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
36c idle, 53c full load...to.....dun dun dun 25c idle, 39c full load, and my room is warm. woooooooooooooo...

·
Science
3,480 Posts
i get my ac 64 freezer tomorrow i will post temps!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts