Overclock.net banner

[TT] Can't buy a new Ampere GPU? That's because NVIDIA sold them to miners

13279 36
Now we know why part of the reason No one can buy an Ampere card. Nvidia got greedy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Banned
8,594 Posts
Sounds more like a rumor, we've been seeing a lot of these rumors pop up recently. Seems like the writer has a thing for dropping "allegedly" out of their articles.

$175,000,000 worth of them were reportedly sold to crypto miners.

· Bowser Has Ryzen!!
4,858 Posts
Hey at least I was able to get a 3080 on new egg with a little effort. I don't think AMD even launched their 6000 series. Couldn't even wait out MC for one. They apologized and said sorry, we just didn't get many.

· Registered
588 Posts
I could swear the other day I literally saw an article that Crypto Currency had crashed in value or similar to that. Along with repeatedly seeing that they weren't gpu mining now. I don't really follow mining... but I wasn't under the impression that it was part of the shortage.

edit remove the overwhelming use of the word... really.

· Registered
3,436 Posts
Nvidia: "Lets reduce prices for the 102 part back to pre RTX 2000 series that sold horribly and win back the goodwill of gamers."

Also Nvidia: "Lets sell most of the cards to miners and give the consumers the scraps to fight over".

Sitting over with a 48 CX and a gtx 1080 unable to use the full potential of the TV due to lack of gpu power and hdmi 2.1, trying to get a 3080 but they just vanish the moment any stock pops up as bots can operate 24/7.

· Iconoclast
34,119 Posts
I could swear the other day I literally saw an article that Crypto Currency had crashed in value or similar to that. Along with repeatedly seeing that they weren't gpu mining now. I don't really follow mining... but I wasn't under the impression that it was part of the shortage.
"Crash" is relative. There was a 15% drop in a BTC sell off a couple days ago and vaguely similar losses across a wide range of cryptos. Prices, and profitability, are still relatively high.

GPU mining Bitcoin directly hasn't been profitable with GPUs in at least six years, but GPU mining of other PoW cryptos is still a thing and will likely remain a thing for the foreseeable future. It's always going to be part of demand for any efficient parts, and thus will be a factor in shortages.

· WaterCooler
5,675 Posts
I could swear the other day I literally saw an article that Crypto Currency had crashed in value or similar to that.
If you want to call it that? Bitcoin was flirting with $20k again and today is back down to under $17k. Ethereum too is down slightly, and I am seeing a lot of red. All are still more than they were earlier in the year though.

That said, Blameless is right. Bitcoin has not been profitable on GPUs for years. Plenty of other coins can be though.

· PC Evangelist
48,808 Posts
I can understand AMD having stock issues. I dont know how Nvidia stock will get better.

· WaterCooler
5,675 Posts
Yeah, I do wonder how AMD's spread of 7nm chips from TSMC is broken down. They have a lot going on right now between Zen 3, RDNA2, and PS5/Xbox chips. Are any of those products seeing good numbers? Obviously the RDNA2 RX radeon cards aren't.

· Registered
5,611 Posts
It doesn't actually say whether they sold direct knowing it was miners or if people mining just bought them out of the supply chain like normal consumers would.

· Just hangin' out
1,589 Posts
This first gen of Ampere has many issues, let the miners and scalpers buy them.

I am waiting until next gen.

· Registered
4,108 Posts
Yeah, I do wonder how AMD's spread of 7nm chips from TSMC is broken down. They have a lot going on right now between Zen 3, RDNA2, and PS5/Xbox chips. Are any of those products seeing good numbers? Obviously the RDNA2 RX radeon cards aren't.
The Xbox and the Playstation combined have about 20 million units out the door and that's not nearly enough atm, so a pretty big portion of their fab time is definitely being dedicated to that.

· PC Evangelist
48,808 Posts
The Xbox and the Playstation combined have about 20 million units out the door and that's not nearly enough atm, so a pretty big portion of their fab time is definitely being dedicated to that.
Only 4 million not 20 million.

· Registered
3,436 Posts
Only 4 million not 20 million.
Need sources, PS4 sold 4.2 EOY in 2013 after being on sale for 40ish days. Market has grown and with the pandemic still looming gaming is more popular than ever. If Sony can actually get their target of 10 million consoles shipped then that is how many they will sell this year. I managed to get one, to be honest its a lot easier to get a PS5 than a damn 3080 or any new GPU, I'm not sure which i'd rather have more lol

· Banned
1,032 Posts
Sounds more like a rumor, we've been seeing a lot of these rumors pop up recently. Seems like the writer has a thing for dropping "allegedly" out of their articles.

i kinda doubt it.... Because of the performance jump this generation, especially in mining. I wonder how these cards compare to the ASIC miners.

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Only 3090 available easily at this point due to its bad price value. The other thing is theres lot of reports of mysterious deaths among 3090ftw3 gpus

· Registered
2,576 Posts
Nvidia: "Lets reduce prices for the 102 part back to pre RTX 2000 series that sold horribly and win back the goodwill of gamers."

Also Nvidia: "Lets sell most of the cards to miners and give the consumers the scraps to fight over".

Sitting over with a 48 CX and a gtx 1080 unable to use the full potential of the TV due to lack of gpu power and hdmi 2.1, trying to get a 3080 but they just vanish the moment any stock pops up as bots can operate 24/7.
This is the exact reason i have not bought a CX 48, its almost CES time and i can wait to see what fixes/improvements next years models can bring. By the time the next gen Tv's come out a 3080Ti should be in stock and available to buy.

Ill sit on this 1080 Ti for a little while longer

· H₂O Aficionado
6,006 Posts
For those looking for more info on the mining, this article explains it better:

However, unless you subscribed to "Barron's" the full details are unclear. How Cryptocurrency Miners Helped Nvidia Earn More Than Expected

Lastly, if you want to read from the source (Nvidia)... see below link to Q3 FY21 earnings summary.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.