Overclock.net banner

[TT] Can't buy a new Ampere GPU? That's because NVIDIA sold them to miners

13287 Views 36 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  mouacyk
Now we know why part of the reason No one can buy an Ampere card. Nvidia got greedy

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Nvidia didn't make a back alley deal with "miners", they sold cards to partners and retailers and miners bought them. I never understood why Nvidia or AMD were responsible for who bought their cards. Rest assured, those RTX cards will hit the used market en masse in about six months when etherum mining inevitably crashes.

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Nvidia didn't make a back alley deal with "miners", they sold cards to partners and retailers and miners bought them. I never understood why Nvidia or AMD were responsible for who bought their cards. Rest assured, those RTX cards will hit the used market en masse in about six months when etherum mining inevitably crashes.
Theses miners also were responsible for returning tons of cards to Nvidia/Amd and then Nvidia/Amd had to drop pricing to clear up inventory. It's an double edged sword. Anyone remember how Nvidia ended up delaying RTX2000 series launch because of sometime during the collapse of mining, large returns coming and Nvidia having to clear up all that excess inventory.

· Performance is the bible
7,161 Posts
I can understand AMD having stock issues. I dont know how Nvidia stock will get better.
I actually don't understand AMD stocks issues.
They are making their chips with the backbone of TSMC behind them. They should have more than enough chips for a full launch if they planned it correctly.
So either it was not planned correctly, or the cards went to someone else than regular consumers.

7,161 Posts
Theses miners also were responsible for returning tons of cards to Nvidia/Amd and then Nvidia/Amd had to drop pricing to clear up inventory. It's an double edged sword. Anyone remember how Nvidia ended up delaying RTX2000 series launch because of sometime during the collapse of mining, large returns coming and Nvidia having to clear up all that excess inventory.
Nvidia back then responded to that. Claiming that so many used AMD cards were flooding the market, it was hard to clear the stocks of their cards when AMD second hand cards were selling for half the price.
It took then extra 3 months or so to clear their stocks. They didn't say anything about returns, and they made a deal with partners that returns and damaged cards because of overly used in mining were not to be accepted (there was a big uproar back then, as both AMD and nvidia tried to crack down on returned cards being used heavily for mining).

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Nvidia back then responded to that. Claiming that so many used AMD cards were flooding the market, it was hard to clear the stocks of their cards when AMD second hand cards were selling for half the price.
It took then extra 3 months or so to clear their stocks. They didn't say anything about returns, and they made a deal with partners that returns and damaged cards because of overly used in mining were not to be accepted (there was a big uproar back then, as both AMD and nvidia tried to crack down on returned cards being used heavily for mining).
nvidia also took an big loss over it. There was an class action by investors related to it i remember

· waifu for lifu
13,729 Posts
They are making their chips with the backbone of TSMC behind them. They should have more than enough chips for a full launch if they planned it correctly.
So either it was not planned correctly, or the cards went to someone else than regular consumers.
Consoles?

· professional curmudgeon
10,406 Posts

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts

· Not a linux lobbyist
2,938 Posts

· Iconoclast
34,138 Posts
i kinda doubt it.... Because of the performance jump this generation, especially in mining. I wonder how these cards compare to the ASIC miners.
They aren't used for the same algorithms, except in a handful of edge cases. In general, these new GPUs will just replace or supplement old GPUs because they have higher performance per watt in existing GPU-centric hashing algorithms.

Theses miners also were responsible for returning tons of cards to Nvidia/Amd
I suspect the return rate from large mining farms to be well below average.

Current Ampere parts reach peak profitability at around 60% of TDP and mining is a constant moderate load with minimal thermal cycling. Any card run for peak efficiency mining is almost certainly less likely to fail than one used for gaming.

Smaller/hobbyist farms might push their parts for quicker returns, if they have cheap enough electricity, but all the big farms care a lot about maximizing performance per watt.

Consoles?
Rumor has it that almost 80% of AMD's Q4 7nm wafer allotment (120k of 150k) at TSMC is going to console SoCs.

The rest has to cover all Zen 3 CCDs (many of them for EPYC) and APUs, as well as both the Radeon Instinct and consumer RDNA2 parts. The latter (the RX 6000 series) gets low priority because they are relatively low margin parts.

AMD just doesn't have enough wafers to go around and had to prioritize contractual obligations and profit over making a small segment of PC gamers happy. All they needed for an RX 6000 series launch were enough in circulation to get reviews out and give the appearance of matching NVIDIA's launch.

[/URL]

More competition is always good, but Intel has their own capacity issues.

· Not a linux lobbyist
2,938 Posts
More competition is always good, but Intel has their own capacity issues.
I'm sure they do have either capacity or production issues or both, but some over at Intel must be kicking themselves over the lousy timing. It's almost like AMD and Nvidia are holding each side of the curtain open for Intel to offer up a gpu with better rasterization than the 2080ti and 12GB or more vram at a competitive price. It wouldn't have to be underpriced like Atom to get people to buy it, it could even be a complete power hog. It could even be worse than RDNA2 is at ray tracing and people would buy it because the other two are just teasing their customers.
I'm guessing that such a card is all Intel will have to offer and it isn't going to look good when AMD and Nvidia can fill the warehouse shelves. But if you are hyped to spend money on an upgrade over Pascal or Vega and don't want to wait until next spring, you could still get most of what you want with third best right now.

It's quite the opportunity that will probably be missed.

7,161 Posts
Consoles?
Again, they are using TSMC manufacturing line, which is several times larger than samsung. They have several fabs each producing more than 3x on 7nm against what nvidia gets from samsung on 8nm.
And AMD even took a snip at nvidia about stocks and how theirs will actually be available.
So the only reason for shortage, is AMD don't really care to release the cards as long as nvidia have stock issues.

· Registered
2 Posts
There is something most Gamers do not understand I m a Crypto miner since 2012 started mining bitcoin with CPU/GPU, almost for me mining is my daily/nightly work (I say this because mining with GPU takes 20 hours/day of full work)need to get up 5 times at night as some GPU disconnect or others issue, mining brings my monthly salary, I eat with, I pay fee, I live because mining exist, dont blame us if we buy Grafic cards, you play games with, we work to eat, and I think only knowing this fact you must not discriminate miners: about China, they ve always been builders of electronics, 10 years ago People was talking bad about them because they got Iphones before everyone and blablabla....I just want Gamers to understand miming is a work and brings salary like dentist is another work...And GPU are also made to mine crypto not only to play a game...

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,173 Posts

· Newb to Overclock.net
5,173 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what work means anymore. I do play exclusively on my 3080 though.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.