Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
I Love this Hobby!
Joined
·
7,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Bethesda.net isn't just a website--it's also the company's brand new games launcher, and it could be a new DRM gateway for the publisher's future PC games. It looks as if the Elder Scrolls and Fallout developer might be following in the footsteps of EA's Origin and Ubisoft's uPlay with Bethesda.net, and we might see the publisher make its games exclusive to its first-party launcher/storefront catalog.
Hey Bethesda, guess how many games I own from UPlay or Origin? One - Dragon Age 3. I have a few more there that I obtained free with the purchase of my video cards.

Now guess how many games I have purchased from DRM free GOG. Dozens.

In the end, I guess it does not matter, the writing was on the wall as soon as everyone piled on to Steam.

Source

Quote:
Bethesda has ultimately decided against having its games grace digital distribution platforms from rival companies and instead enjoy closure through its very own game launcher. Called Bethesda.net (much like Activision Blizzard Inc.'s Battle.net), the launcher is currently undergoing closed alpha proceedings.
This article seems more definitive on the subject.

Source
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
While I have nothing against them doing this it will probably make it harder to get an overview of what games I own where, Sure the major titles I will rememember but still its kind of getting a mess.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
How to lower sells and increase piracy of your games? Make your own steam platform that no one asked for and no one wants, and make your games exclusive to it.

I mean everyone loves uPlay, right? Everyone loved Origin exclusive games when Steam already existed, right?. These companies really that clueless or do they just not care about customer convenience? Most people want everything on Steam in one nice library with a big shared community, for the few that still hate steam, there are alternatives like GOG. I have no problems with alternative steam-like programs but there should be no exclusive titles and a paying customer should be able to always choose where he gets his games.

Crap like this is one of the main reasons I avoid consoles. I shouldn't need all of them to play the game I want. Where does this end? We really going to need an application for every game developer out there, each with their own issues and server problems?

I still don't own a single title on Origin. I won't support businesses practices like this, hopefully Bethesda does the right thing and keeps everything on other services as well.
 

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

I still don't own a single title on Origin. I won't support businesses practices like this, hopefully Bethesda does the right thing and keeps everything on other services as well.
That's so dumb,especially when all they are trying to do is not pay Steam's fee.

Why depend from a third party DRM solution that has absolutely no advantages,when you can have your own?

You wouldn't keep selling on ebay when you can have your own e-commerce website.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
They should just get in touch with NexusMods.com and work with them to create a better looking version of the Nexus Mod Manager. That's the only kind of launcher that Bethesda should have.

DRM will interfere with mods, and Bethesda will be garbage without the mod community. They need to embrace it and rely on the consumer to pay them their dues. They won't win this fight with DRM.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

They should just get in touch with NexusMods.com and work with them to create a better looking version of the Nexus Mod Manager. That's the only kind of launcher that Bethesda should have.

DRM will interfere with mods, and Bethesda will be garbage without the mod community. They need to embrace it and rely on the consumer to pay them their dues. They won't win this fight with DRM.
this is actually a good idea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Simple solution: Make your game available on all platforms (or at least Steam and GOG also) and offer the game at a discount if purchased on your platform. Doesn't have to be a lot, even $5 would be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I can barely force myself to buy games on Steam anymore, let alone all of these first party clients. PC gaming is such a joke.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,389 Posts
Time to build an app that manages your managers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

That's so dumb,especially when all they are trying to do is not pay Steam's fee.

Why depend from a third party DRM solution that has absolutely no advantages,when you can have your own?

You wouldn't keep selling on ebay when you can have your own e-commerce website.
Then release your games on everything and let the customer choose where to buy. I trust that Valve/Steam won't go under before Bethseda goes under, so I'd definitely trust my games with them over this new service.

Business is about making your customers happy to ensure sells, as well as profits. This isn't something customers asked for or wanted.
 

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Then release your games on everything and let the customer choose where to buy. I trust that Valve/Steam won't go under before Bethseda goes under, so I'd definitely trust my games with them over this new service.

Business is about making your customers happy to ensure sells, as well as profits. This isn't something customers asked or wanted.
What's the point if you are still paying a premium for something that you don't have to?

EA does not need Steam to sell their games,your average indie delevoper may though.

Business also isn't only about customers.

As said before,if you are famous enough to have your own shop,why still sell on ebay where they take a cut of your sales?
wink.gif
 

·
To The Game
Joined
·
7,664 Posts
Can't blame a publisher for wanting to have full control of their own games. Bethesda has high profile AAA games that don't need Steam to make sales. It's annoying as a consumer having to flip all these logins, but, I've gotten used to it. What I do wish were possible would be to fully move over all my Bethesda games to this new service.
 

·
Legacy Member
Joined
·
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

What's the point if you are still paying a premium for something that you don't have to?

EA does not need Steam to sell their games,your average indie delevoper may though.

As said before,if you are famous enough to have your own shop,why still sell on ebay where they take a cut of your sales?
wink.gif
My questioning for the relevance of this is that with launchers like uPlay or Origen these are from companies that have a considerable amount of titles annually. This isnt true with Bethesda, which will only have a couple launches a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
This is why I just keep a folder of all my game shortcuts in one place and let whatever launcher that it's for come up. Just keep the login and password the same. That's the best we can do for now. This Horizon thing looks pretty awesome though.
 
1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Top