Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 143 Posts

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

You need proof that Amazon makes money when they sell a game? They aren't doing out of the goodness of their hearts are they?
I was talking about digital PC games.

I asked proof of Amazon charging delevopers a premium to sell their games on their store.

A DRM platform is not the same as a retailer. The latter all it does in the PC gaming world is forward steam keys.

The former allows the authentication and distribution of copyrighted material.
 

·
Robotic Chemist
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

I was talking about digital PC games.

I asked proof of Amazon charging delevopers a premium to sell their games on their store.
You mean a premium above what Steam charges or simply a fee at all? They do charge something but I do not know how it compares to Steam's cut.
 

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

You mean a premium above what Steam charges or simply a fee at all? They do charge something but I do not know how it compares to Steam's cut.
A publishing fee. The same one Amazon and Ebay ask their users in order to grant them the ability to sell in their store.
 

·
Robotic Chemist
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

A publishing fee. The same one Amazon and Ebay ask their users in order to grant them the ability to sell in their store.
And you think Amazon's might be $0 and 0%?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post

Everyone here who plays their games and is complaining will have it installed at the next release of "Elder Scrolls" and will find some way to defend it after that. Same crap happened with Origin. People complain then go along with it like sheep.
Not me. I got BF3 without even knowing about Origin and when I installed it it lasted about 1 month due to the constant nagging and problems. I have never played an Uplay game and being a hardcore Rally fan the only moment I got Dirt 3 was when they got rid of GFWL.

Just stick to your convictions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,776 Posts
They are doing modding on consoles, not just for Fallout4, but, future titles as well.

Consoles are closed systems. Therefore, in order for modding to "work" with the good graces of Sony and Microsoft (who are the gate keepers), it can't be the wild west like it is on PC. That's what Bethesda.net is. It allows Bethesda to curate content, and by extension so can Sony and Microsoft.

If you can't figure out why: Think about the popularity of Skyrim sex mods, the current climate of gender politics in gaming, and previous attempts at "adult" gaming on consoles like BMX XXX or the hot coffee mod in GTA: San Andreas.

I'm sure there will be more "features" integrated with it as time goes on.

But, hearsay and conjecture until there is more evidence for such things.
 

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

And you think Amazon's might be $0 and 0%?
Do you understand what i just posted?
 

·
Robotic Chemist
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Do you understand what i just posted?
Not at all, I am very confused as to what you are saying.
frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

I asked proof of Amazon charging delevopers a premium to sell their games on their store.
To me this means proof Amazon has a fee for selling games in their store. What do you mean by "charges a premium" if not that? The developer does not get 100% of the price Amazon charges.
 

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

To me this means proof Amazon has a fee for selling games in their store. What do you mean by "charges a premium" if not that? The developer does not get 100% of the price Amazon charges.
Delevopers don't sell their game on Amazon...Amazon sells them. All they do is buy the keys.

Delevopers sell their game in a DRM platform of preference,Steam mainly. And Steam has a publishing fee.

Just like Amazon has a fee for their marketplace third party sellers.
 

·
Robotic Chemist
Joined
·
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Delevopers don't sell their game on Amazon...Amazon sells them. All they do is buy the keys.

Delevopers sell their game in a DRM platform of preference,Steam mainly. And Steam has a publishing fee.
OK, but Amazon pays less for their keys than they sell them for and I bet the difference does not come 100% out of Steam's cut. Being in another store is usually considered worth paying a little for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
They announced this last year at E3, but no one was paying attention because they were too busy grinding against the couch and frothing at the mouth over the Fallout 4 teaser.

If everyone had told Bethesda to sit down and shut up then instead of gyrating their pelvis' over a mediocre, buggy and poorly optimized sandbox game that was well marketed, we wouldn't have more bloatware to worry about.

Yes, they're doing this so that they can start skimming off the top of modding, which will be locked into their platform and turned into a storefront. That whole debacle with mods for Bethesda games getting added to the Steam Workshop a while back was them using Valve as a cat's paw to test the waters. They're going to market it for a while, and then they're going to lock everything in.

Including the new modding scenes on consoles that're just starting to bud up. There is a reason that they decided to go through the effort of making modding possible on consoles, and that's because Microsoft and Sony see an opportunity to profit from this also.

Bethesda has been searching high and low for a way to profit from the modding community since Oblivion, and they've said so unto exhaustion. Google it yourself until you find enough quotes to make you happy going back over the course of an entire decade.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: KRAAG and LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
Why cant all the AAA developer sit down on the same table and develop an Open platform to de-throne steam?

The front end platform is open, while the back end is point toward each of their own bandwidth server.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
If this turns out to be another Origin, its going to be hella easy to ignore any game that passes through it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
because that would require actually being competitive and caring about consumers.

Technically speaking more store fronts IS competitive, but it's useless if it locks content.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC'ing Noob View Post

I disagree with this. NMM is a pile of poo. For mods, especially complex mods or high number of mods, to be installed correctly, one needs to use the following:

- Loot: mod order
- Bash: Bash patches
- TSEdit: Mod cleaning

Simply keeping a log of installation changes is not enough. Beyond those above listed choices, in some cases manual tweaking is also needed. Unless they only install the most basic of mods, using NMM or their own manager is simply an awful idea. If anything, they should try to buy MO or hire their dev team.
It's a better alternative to what we all know they're actually planning on doing.

NMM isn't that bad by the way. I've used it, multiple times, to just sloppily slam over 200 mods into Skyrim without wasting much of my time. I've done that about 5 times, now, with different mods. I've never had any real issues, so I think in this case you probably mean it's "not for you" instead of "a pile of poo."

NMM and the modding community as a whole has a higher competency rate than Bethesda. I love Bethesda, but their games are basically released as a beta and then the rest is more or less up to the mod community.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Yes, they're doing this so that they can start skimming off the top of modding, which will be locked into their platform and turned into a storefront. That whole debacle with mods for Bethesda games getting added to the Steam Workshop a while back was them using Valve as a cat's paw to test the waters. They're going to market it for a while, and then they're going to lock everything in.

Including the new modding scenes on consoles that're just starting to bud up. There is a reason that they decided to go through the effort of making modding possible on consoles, and that's because Microsoft and Sony see an opportunity to profit from this also.

Bethesda has been searching high and low for a way to profit from the modding community since Oblivion, and they've said so unto exhaustion. Google it yourself until you find enough quotes to make you happy going back over the course of an entire decade.
this ^^ im gutted that I will miss the next elders scroll game but at the end of the day the guys that made morrowind and oblivion good are long gone
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsm View Post

I can barely force myself to buy games on Steam anymore, let alone all of these first party clients. PC gaming is such a joke.
Agreed, PC games stopped holding much value to me when they started going full digital at full retail price with season passes and $30 DLC nonsense. I'm old school, I like a physical copy of the game I have full control over that requires a key or a one and done activation check. I don't like my purchased software locked behind a log in weather it has an offline mode or not, it's still locked behind a log in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Business is about making your customers happy to ensure sells, as well as profits. This isn't something customers asked for or wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

People line up at the door to pay for games from companies that put customer satisfaction first. Look at CDProjektRED's fanbase.
Yep, treat people right and people will buy your product. They are one of the last few publishers I will purchase games from at full price since they treat me like a customer instead of a criminal, same with GOG and the like. I purchase the game and download it and I have full control over what I can do with it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrichie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Yes, they're doing this so that they can start skimming off the top of modding, which will be locked into their platform and turned into a storefront. That whole debacle with mods for Bethesda games getting added to the Steam Workshop a while back was them using Valve as a cat's paw to test the waters. They're going to market it for a while, and then they're going to lock everything in.

Including the new modding scenes on consoles that're just starting to bud up. There is a reason that they decided to go through the effort of making modding possible on consoles, and that's because Microsoft and Sony see an opportunity to profit from this also.

Bethesda has been searching high and low for a way to profit from the modding community since Oblivion, and they've said so unto exhaustion. Google it yourself until you find enough quotes to make you happy going back over the course of an entire decade.
this ^^ im gutted that I will miss the next elders scroll game but at the end of the day the guys that made morrowind and oblivion good are long gone
I can't go cold turkey on the elder scrolls, I think I'll just wait till the GOTY version hits the NEO,
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

I have no problems with alternative steam-like programs but there should be no exclusive titles and a paying customer should be able to always choose where he gets his games.
Then why don't you petition Valve to release Portal and Half-Life on the Origin store?
 
41 - 60 of 143 Posts
Top