Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Banned
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

Up until now, everything we've heard on the next-gen consoles is that AMD will have APUs inside all of them. The Nintendo NX was meant to be powered by an AMD design, but according to our sources, Nintendo is working with NVIDIA and will use a Pascal-based Tegra chip inside of their next-gen Nintendo NX console.

I've been sitting on this story for a little while now, but it has been backed up by another source - who has said that NVIDIA will be providing a Pascal-based Tegra processor for Nintendo's next-gen console.

Nintendo's NX console using a NVIDIA design is also a huge win for NVIDIA over AMD, and symbolizes the shift from a much bigger CPU/APU or GPU design, to a mobile SoC design. It could also mean that the rumors of a portable Nintendo console, were right after all.
Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52119/nintendo-nx-powered-nvidia-tegra-processor-amd-chip/index.html

SemiAccurate: Nintendo NX handheld to use Nvidia Tegra-based SoC #1

The article is available to subscribers only, however the gist of it is this:
Quote:
Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.

Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.

SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal. (Take the second sentence here with an extra portion of salt)

Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or which process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.

No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.
Source 2: http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/
Source 3: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218933

·
Registered
589 Posts
Bad news if true, IMO.
The word "Tegra" suggests that Nintendo is "innovating" again, instead of bringing a powerful hardware once and for all.

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renx View Post

Bad news if true, IMO.
The word "Tegra" suggests that Nintendo is "innovating" again, instead of bringing a powerful hardware once and for all.
The Tegra X1 can handle 4K output, and 1080p 60FPS gaming without a problem why is that not powerful enough for a console?

• Rep+
Reactions: BiG StroOnZ

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

The Tegra X1 can handle 4K output, and 1080p 60FPS gaming without a problem why is that not powerful enough for a console?
I'm aware of the Tegra X1.
What I meant is that they're probably developing some sort of AIO, handheld+console in the same device.
Tegra is supposed to be used in portables after all. So if they bring innovation again, they'll sacrifice power, and will stay behind the next Sony and MS consoles.
Now, if you tell me that this Tegra will be used in a portable system only, that would be good.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Whoohoo!

Finally, an end to the console monopoly.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jologskyblues View Post

Whoohoo!

Finally, an end to the console monopoly.
*cough* cough* i think you mean end to Nintendo well optimized games.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Quote:

A Tegra X1 also has a quarter of the graphics power of a GeForce 960. It'd be less powerful than the current consoles.

If this news turns out to be true, this is looking to be pretty bad for the NX being a high-end console.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renx View Post

I'm aware of the Tegra X1.
What I meant is that they're probably developing some sort of AIO, handheld+console in the same device.
Tegra is supposed to be used in portables after all. So if they bring innovation again, they'll sacrifice power, and will stay behind the next Sony and MS consoles.
Now, if you tell me that this Tegra will be used in a portable system only, that would be good.

How do you conclude they will be behind sony or MS?
Pascal 16nm is pretty powerful, and takes a hell of lot less power than the previous 28nm.
The current consoles are running on 5 years old tech (if a bit more), so up to date processor and AIO (tegra next gen running on hardware mode is most likely just as powerful as AMD's APU for the consoles), will not mean sacrificing too much, if at all.

Also they must most likely be able to run one chip faster on the console main body than the one on the handheld, so one can power bigger screen and higher fps, while the smaller one only has to handle smaller screen and less FPS.

Judging something which hadn't come out yet, nor you have no idea of the specs, is pretty silly.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post

A Tegra X1 also has a quarter of the graphics power of a GeForce 960. It'd be less powerful than the current consoles.

If this news turns out to be true, this is looking to be pretty bad for the NX being a high-end console.
Nintendo never seems to learn. Good 1st party games are great and all but 3rd party game support is essential and if you're console isn't powerful enough to run the same games as the other big players, it's not going to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

Pascal 16nm is pretty powerful, and takes a hell of lot less power than the previous 28nm.
The current consoles are running on 5 years old tech (if a bit more), so up to date processor and AIO (tegra next gen running on hardware mode is most likely just as powerful as AMD's APU for the consoles), will not mean sacrificing too much, if at all.

Also they must most likely be able to run one chip faster on the console main body than the one on the handheld, so one can power bigger screen and higher fps, while the smaller one only has to handle smaller screen and less FPS.

Judging something which hadn't come out yet, nor you have no idea of the specs, is pretty silly.
Even if the new Tegra chip is close to or on par with the current XBone/PS4 APUs, new 14nm ones are in the works for the refreshes coming up and will be significantly more powerful.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post

Nintendo never seems to learn. Good 1st party games are great and all but 3rd party game support is essential and if you're console isn't powerful enough to run the same games as the other big players, it's not going to sell.
Nintendo likes to have full control of all the consoles and systems.

It means they don't sell as much, but with their set of mind or what types of games they want on their consoles, I'm not sure they would be able to out sell sony or MS anyway.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

We're talking upon speculations here.

Tegra is one thing, as you know it's performance already. But an AMD's APU is a different thing.
APU doesn't mean "lack of power" as people think.
You can pack an APU with pretty much any GPU, just as they did with the PS4 and Xbox One.
It was a custom APU on current consoles, with a much more powerful GPU than what the PC APU holds, and I was expecting more of that, this time with Polaris.

I'm just saying I don't like Tegra for a main console.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If that's the case, then I guess Nintendo has to experience what it's like to work with Nvidia the same way Microsoft and Sony did. Also, it just seems like a really bad idea to go with a completely different architecture if you are trying to get console ports from the PS4 and Xbox One, but then, this is Nintendo. They often don't make the wisest hardware decisions.

On that note, AMD announced three new gaming APUs. If Nintendo isn't the third, who is? Could we see another competitor in the console market?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Quote:

Tegra X1 (Maxwell-based) has 512 GFLOPS FP32 performance and 25.6 GB/s memory bandwidth.

Meanwhile, the old PS4 has 1840 GFLOPS FP32 performance and 176.0 GB/s memory bandwidth.

The Pascal-based Tegra would have to be a massive leap just to catch up.

Also, Tegra is a mobile processor, so the news is strange. Perhaps it will use a large custom Tegra.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowtek View Post

I'm all for it. But I'll wait for the NX-Ti spec.
Nintendo NX Founder's Edition, anyone?

OT:
Maybe in the NX handheld (/ controller, if it works like the Wii U's controller), but I kind of doubt that the full console will use it. It's possible though, I guess; a hex- or octo-core A72 with ~1000 CUDA cores would actually probably work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If this is true it likely won't affect development for 3rd parties that already make games for the 3DS as this new SoC uses ARM.

For dev's that don't and make games on PS4 or Xbox One because of Nintendo's Wii U blunder's its unlikely they will allocate additional development resources for just Nintendo and therefore 3rd party support will not be as good as it could be once again.

I hope this isn't true and they stick with the x86 APU from AMD.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

I can't find anything about the Tegra, can you show me?
I didn't say it was a carbon copy of the rumor, just that it supports the rumor the OP posted. If it was only the rumor I posted, it could be an ARM processor from anyone.

I will also point out that SemiAccurate posted a subscriber only article on the 12th with information on the NX silicon. It's tagged with ARM. I have no idea what's actually in it.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts