·
Premium Member
10,857 Posts
Beast!

·
Performance is the bible
7,049 Posts
Most sites put a review up.
Basically 24% faster than 2080 TI overall at 4K, most sites couldn't really OC it to any real significant level, RTX+DLSS now gives great results in performance, and without DLSS it still lose less performance than the 2080 TI used to lose.
And it seems like PCIE 4.0 doesn't make that much of a difference, as well as the 10900K is still faster on average with it than the 3900xt.

Overall, looks like nvidia have a winner. Especially with the rumors that the 6000 is only going to match or go slightly ahead of the 2080 TI.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Overall, looks like nvidia have a winner. Especially with the rumors that the 6000 is only going to match or go slightly ahead of the 2080 TI.
If that 6000 series that matches if not best the 2080Ti by even 1%, but come in at 499.99 and below would be the real winner.

• Rep+
Reactions: Darkpriest667

·
Newsfiend
2,404 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Hueristic

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,743 Posts
What we all expected! Still comes down to price / availability. Let the games begin...

I'll be waiting for the dust to clear - No amount of Shia's will change that :p

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Read a couple reviews so far. Digital Foundry, Guru3dD, TT and more.

All point to the same conclusion. 25-30% faster at 4k but also 30% more power drawer.

What i disliked in most of the reviews is that they compare it more prominently with the 2080 (not even the super) due to the price of the two. A comparison between TU104 vs GA102... Irrespective of the price the 3080 should be compared with a 2080ti. Same chipset.

Its a good card, and for me coming from a 1080ti will be a great boost, but i had hoped for a bit more umf from the card tbh. We will have to see what the partners cards are like, when the 20gb model is out and what Navi will bring.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,346 Posts
Do you guys remember the days when you could see news on the front page of this board?
I do ...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yeah. Kind of disappointed but again my target was 3090 not 3080. I may sit out 3080 launch tomorrow. Just have to preorder one of the console if my 3090 plan fail

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Power hungry and the FE runs a bit on the warm side. Acoustic are good though for that type of heat and power though.

Seems clocks are down a bit and overclocking is very limited, something samsung 8nm node is showing with power scaling.

Ill wait till AIB have better coolers and possibly raised power limits. Also there the point of 20gb cards comming

·
WaterCooler
3,480 Posts
Far cry from Nvidia's performance marketing claims of 2x 2080 though outside of a couple of best case scenario games like Doom Eternal.

Also it seems the architecture definitely is working to boost the performance at 4k, where 1440p is not seeing as big of gains. Lots of power draw and I saw one review video (hardware unboxed) complaining of coil whine.

Will be curious to see where the 3070 will end up.

• Rep+
Reactions: Darkpriest667

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
So overclocking these doesn't seem worth it due to power limit causing increased frame times and higher low 1%?

They covered it in this video. Basically your worst fps (the most important) will feel worst if you OC with a benefit of a mere 5fps avg?

Based on specs the 3090 best case scenario will be about 20% faster. I'll wager closer to 15%. I can't justify $800 more for 15-20%. I bet it will OC better though but still not enough to justify $1500 in my opinion.

That's depressing not a big difference over a OCed 2080ti. I think the biggest difference is the nearly 15ms better frame times over the 2080ti. That will be very noticeable.

·
WaterCooler
3,480 Posts
So overclock these doesn't seem worth it due to power limit causing increased frame times and higher low 1%?

They covered it in this video. Basically your worst fps (the most important) will feel worst if you OC with a benefit of a mere 5fps avg?

Based on specs the 3090 best case scenario will be about 20% faster. I'll wager closer to 15%. I can't justify $800 more for 15-20%. I bet it will OC better though but still not enough to justify $1500 in my opinion.

That's depressing.
I'm not surprised there's not really any overclocking headroom here given the power reqs out of the box.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm not surprised there's not really any overclocking headroom here given the power reqs out of the box.
I should have sold my desktop mobo, cpu, ram (3950x) when the price were good and live with the new laptop. Then buy an ps5/xbox and go back to desktop in 2021/2022.

·
Overclocked
3,895 Posts
AMD can definitely compete with this. It isn't out of reach and is only about 30% faster than 2080 Ti reference at 4k. There is still hope folks.
The 3090 will probably be 10-15% faster than this card, making it 45-50% faster than 2080 Ti.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
AMD will have the clock speed advantage that im sure of. But will depend how well there arch can scale with clocks. Also there defently room to make a much more power effiencient version with TSMC 7nm

There defently potential and room for big navi to be competetive this go around.

·
WaterCooler
3,480 Posts
I could see this being Fermi vs HD 5000 again.

Will wait and see.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,210 Posts
Not bad. Looks better in the reviews with better processors, expected considering that even the 2080ti shows some signs of waiting for the cpu to catch up.

I can't wait to see some numbers with a 4700x.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,210 Posts
You could just bookmark the forum on the news page, that method has been working for me since 2008.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts