Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 363 Posts

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
I could see this being Fermi vs HD 5000 again.

Will wait and see.
It should be since the RTX 30 series are still generally compute heavy GPUs while RDNA is a gaming architecture like TeraScale. Hopefully the RX 6000 series isn't plagued with similar driver issues to the HD 5000/RX 5000 series. I don't recall the HD 6000 series having any driver problems so maybe the 5000 series naming is cursed.

Edit: The cooler on the RTX 3080 is ridiculously good. Curious how AIB's will compare.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Fun times. Looks like good time for new system by the end of the year.
***My rig specs broken.. Have not been here for long time. *Fixed

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
Compute workloads are making good use of the doubled FP32 units.

·
WaterCooler
3,445 Posts
Edit: The cooler on the RTX 3080 is ridiculously good. Curious how AIB's will compare.
Yeah considering the upped power usage, seems this FE cooler is doing a great job cooling it.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Looks like a great card! People complain about 20%, but percentages don't always tell the full story when you don't speak about the actual numbers itself. But this card shines in 4K. This is a solid 4K60 card.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Performance is good, but not nearly as good as nvidia was making it out to be. Not the "2x 2080" everyone seemed to think it was. Sort of underwhelming for 2+ years of development, especially when the 2000 series was just a modest improvement over the 1000 series.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Nvidia was slotted to use Samsung and TSMC this arch, right? I'm starting to wonder if they aren't planning on rolling the TI's out on TSMC's 7nm considering the lack of O/C headroom on the Samsung node.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
Performance is good, but not nearly as good as nvidia was making it out to be. Not the "2x 2080" everyone seemed to think it was. Sort of underwhelming for 2+ years of development, especially when the 2000 series was just a modest improvement over the 1000 series.
Yep, that is disappointing but it's to be expected. When have we ever seen 100% scaling when increasing the amount of FP32 units aside from compute workloads?

·
I <3 narcissists
6,174 Posts
No one worth the oxygen they breath thought the 3080 was going to be 2x the 2080 outside of very specific situations. And you are right, this isn't hugely impressive outside of the performance value compared to the 20 series. The big performance jump comes from going back to a larger die for the x80 card. Chip size makes it seem very much like the 20 series but with better pricing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Nvidia was slotted to use Samsung and TSMC this arch, right? I'm starting to wonder if they aren't planning on rolling the TI's out on TSMC's 7nm considering the lack of O/C headroom on the Samsung node.
I dont think there will be a TSMC 7nm refresh.

This is what we get and nvidia will be using samsung 8nm all for 3000 series. If there a refresh it will simply be a product stack shuffle

·
Registered
653 Posts
No one worth the oxygen they breath thought the 3080 was going to be 2x the 2080 outside of very specific situations. And you are right, this isn't hugely impressive outside of the performance value compared to the 20 series. The big performance jump comes from going back to a larger die for the x80 card. Chip size makes it seem very much like the 20 series but with better pricing.
Agreed, for general performance this isn't the upgrade 2000 owners were probably hoping for. For RTX they probably are more impressed, but Jensen didn't lie to say that its ok for 1080ti owners to move on. This is a good leap from Pascal owners.

·
PC Evangelist
46,706 Posts
So you need 4K to get the 30% gain. At 1440p it does not seem that much faster than 2080 Ti due to the architecture and not CPU bottleneck. Do you think it would matter if Big Navi beat 30 series at 1080p and 1440p or 2% 4K market share more important?

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
If that 6000 series that matches if not best the 2080Ti by even 1%, but come in at 499.99 and below would be the real winner.
Not when that means it will go against the 3070 for the same price.
It will go as it used to, people think that nvidia cards are better because they have the fastest cards, so they will go with nvidia again.
And I still have doubts about that huge card in the pictures released will be a 499$ card.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So you need 4K to get the 30% gain. At 1440p it does not seem that much faster than 2080 Ti due to the architecture and not CPU bottleneck. Do you think it would matter if Big Navi beat 30 series at 1080p and 1440p or 2% 4K market share more important?
Only to the uninformed and competitive crowd. People who think they need 500fps to play minecraft, and people who need 500fps to be more competitive in CS:GO.

1080p is basically done. Not in terms of who still uses it or the general use of it. Just the fact that its not hard to get high performance in it anymore.

·
To The Game
7,611 Posts
The 3080 is looking really good for me coming off a 1080 ti but man, this whole article reads like whoever wrote it wants to get early dibs on 3090/3070 review samples. Always get annoyed when reviewers make a gpu sound like its the "be all, end all" of gaming tech when it's going to be replaced very soon by the next new thing. Very soon in this case. Pull your shilling back some TT. :)

·
sudo apt install sl
7,305 Posts
Hold off and wait to see if AMD is able to release a RDNA2 card with 5120 Cus that can clock at 2.5Ghz+. They might be able to steal the gaming crown.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
so for the looks of it the 3090 can be just 20-30% (thats been generous faster than the 3080) and you just paying for the extra uneeded vram bcuz 24gb like seriously..

So the 3090 would become whats the new 2080 ti price perf

and looking already is a 102 chipset i dont expect to much magic sauce maybe a card to fit in between the 3080 / 3090 probably 1000-1200 which still would be look at the same way we look at the 2080ti nvidia never learn XD

·
Performance is the bible
7,043 Posts
AMD will have the same issue like nvidia have.
At lower resolutions CPU speed starts to matter more, and CPUs can't feed the GPU fast enough.
TPU did a CPU comparison, and intel cpus almost always won especially in lower resolutions, because their clocks are higher, and they can feed the GPU faster. Despite PCIE 4.0 that AMD has.
You can also see in TPU test, at 4K, CPU speeds stops from being a consideration because the GPU is the bottleneck. At 1440p, the GPU is hungry for data.

·
PC Evangelist
46,706 Posts
AMD will have the same issue like nvidia have.
At lower resolutions CPU speed starts to matter more, and CPUs can't feed the GPU fast enough.
TPU did a CPU comparison, and intel cpus almost always won especially in lower resolutions, because their clocks are higher, and they can feed the GPU faster. Despite PCIE 4.0 that AMD has.
You can also see in TPU test, at 4K, CPU speeds stops from being a consideration because the GPU is the bottleneck. At 1440p, the GPU is hungry for data.
I get the CPU bottleneck side, but this is different. 3080 need more load for the CUDA cores which only comes at 4K. This looks similar to Vega.

21 - 40 of 363 Posts