Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
GDC 2016 - NVIDIA has just announced its new GameWorks SDK 3.1, with three new technologies included in the release. This includes new techniques for shadows and lighting, as well as two new physical simulation algorithms, released in beta form.

As for the three new technologies with GameWorks SDK 3.1, this is what we can expect:

NVIDIA Volumetric Lighting - an advanced lighting technique that simulates how light behaves as it scatters through the air and atmosphere. NVIDIA Volumetric Lighting was first introduced in the hit video game Fallout 4.

NVIDIA Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows (HFTS) - an algorithm for drawing high-fidelity shadows that transition smoothly from hard shadows near the occluding object, to proper soft shadows in regions farther away. HFTS debuted in the hit video game Tom Clancy's The Division.

NVIDIA Voxel Accelerated Ambient Occlusion (VXAO) - NVIDIA's highest quality algorithm for real-time ambient occlusion, VXAO is a shading technique that adds depth and realism to any scene. It surpasses older techniques by calculating shadows in world-space using all scene geometry, as opposed to screen space techniques that can only shadow from geometry visible to the camera. VXAO debuted in the hit video game Rise of the Tomb Raider.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/51052/nvidia-launches-gameworks-sdk-3-1-three-new-technologies/index.html

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Surprised they didn't call it:

LightingWorks
ShadowWorks
AmbientOcclusionWorks

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

Did i read wrong or are they releasing the source code on github?
Quote:
NVIDIA makes source code for select GameWorks libraries available to developers via GitHub. Source code for NVIDIA Volumetric Lighting and NVIDIA's FaceWorks demo is available today. Source code for NVIDIA HairWorks, NVIDIA HBAO+ and NVIDIA WaveWorks will be available soon.
OP, should really just use the original Source as that's where its from anyways.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidia-advances-real-time-game-130000326.html

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
VXAO in Return of the Tomb Raider, courtesy of Computerbase:
  1. Off:
  2. Ambient Occlusion:
  3. Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion(HBAO+):
  4. Voxel Accelerated Ambient Occlusion(VXAO):

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhasburgers View Post

That last one really shows the difference. Real nice. Thanks. Would love to see this in Skyrim.. one can dream.
You think that's worth a 20fps~ hit? I actually think HBAO looks far better, VXAO looks like it throws out a bunch of detail..

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

You think that's worth a 20fps~ hit? I actually think HBAO looks far better, VXAO looks like it throws out a bunch of detail..
yes VXAO looks way better to me, it seems like it's "smart" and knows where shadows should and shouldn't be, whereas all over AO methods just stuff shadows in every corner, even brightly lit ones, for the sake of it.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I've been comparing HBAO and VXAO in many RotTR locations and most of the time HBAO and VXAO looked 100% identical. VXAO runs some 10fps slower than HBAO, which, IMHO, is not worth it. Volumetric Lighting, IMHO, generically sucks and is not realistic. It brightens the atmosphere too much. Its unrealistic, a lot like Bloom in many games. It also heavily, SUPER-HEAVILY reduces performance, especially on High and Ultra Quality that prevents square artifacts when you look at the lighting source and there's an object in front of it (like Fallout 4's sun with tree in front of it). The Shadow technology is good and has minimal performance impact AFAIK. These technologies won't be reducing performance on Pascale much, but they will and already do on Maxwell II cards.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

VXAO looked much better.

Textures on grass and plants are much better if you saw the GIFs.
Shadows are really black like they should be with VXAO but with HBAO they are hazy.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Quote:

It throws out detail where it shouldn't be necessary. HBAO adds shadows to every damn corner, lol.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
HBAO vs VXAO = -10% total performance, for the sake little more shadow for a thing that you will not look much at. Way to go.

Volumetric lightning - you mean tesselating the tesselation? (Godrays Low vs Ultra here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

VXAO looked much better.

Shadows are really black like they should be with VXAO but with HBAO they are hazy.
You know, shadows are hazy because there is refracted light. Dark shadows are with only 1 direct light source.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

HBAO vs VXAO = -10% total performance, for the sake little more shadow for a thing that you will not look much at. Way to go.

Volumetric lightning - you mean tesselating the tesselation? (Godrays Low vs Ultra here).
Yes who needs real life shadows in a dark environment like you get tons of in Tomb Raider
rolleyes.gif

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

VXAO looked much better.

You ever heard of a preference?

Yes, i saw the GIFs.. It's my opinion that HBAO looks better, VXAO looks like it crushes blacks and throws out detail, maybe it's just the implementation of it in Tomb Raider.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

You know, shadows are hazy because there is refracted light. Dark shadows are with only 1 direct light source.
More like 30%.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

OP, should really just use the original Source as that's where its from anyways.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidia-advances-real-time-game-130000326.html
Actually Yahoo is notorious for just text scanning other sites news and using it. If you go to the Yahoo source, you'll see they stole it from MarketWired:

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/nvidia-advances-real-time-game-rendering-simulation-with-launch-nvidia-gameworks-sdk-nasdaq-nvda-2105515.htm

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:

You ever heard of a preference?

Yes, i saw the GIFs.. It's my opinion that HBAO looks better, VXAO looks like it crushes blacks and throws out detail, maybe it's just the implementation of it in Tomb Raider.
Look over to my reference. The three barrels to the left show clear differences where vxao is doing good.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts