Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Team China has been busy playing with liquid nitrogen and a Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition chip.

The X3 CPU was overclocked to an impressive 6161.41MHz in an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe motherboard with 1GB of DDR2 and a 850W Topower PSU. The Black Edition chip owes the impressive overclock to the unlocked multiplier which they cranked all the way up to 30.5.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/11750/...6ghzindex.html

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
nice but ive seen a lot of chips pass 6ghz on ln2 so its not that surprising. The E8600 does pretty freakin well too.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
been sweeter if it wasn't rejected.
lol just caught that. So I guess this is fail?!

·
Overclocking
9,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
nice but ive seen a lot of chips pass 6ghz on ln2 so its not that surprising. The E8600 does pretty freakin well too.
yeah but its harder to overclock AMD compared to Intel.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NCspecV81 View Post
been sweeter if it wasn't rejected.
CPU-Z 1.50 is rejecting validations left and right... the guys over at XS have been *****ing up a storm about it

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
well you're basically comparing a dual with a quad with a disabled core. of course quads are much tougher to oc. and the highest oc of an intel quad is 6.3. so please

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I agree, lets not get into the dual core vs a *quad* core high overclock conversation. We know they aren't the same, while we're at it we might as well whip out the single core OC highs as well. It's a moot point.

·
Registered
508 Posts
this may be seen as a troll post but i dont really care lol

but i really dont see the benefit of seeing 'processor XXX reaches X.Xghz under LN2'

99.9% of the population dont have access to this kind of stuff, so why do we care on how far it can go, why not just see how far they can push it under a good water rig or good air cooling, this would seem more informative, to me especially.

i understand that it shows what the chip is capable of but not in everyday use

just my

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by burning-skies View Post
this may be seen as a troll post but i dont really care lol

but i really dont see the benefit of seeing 'processor XXX reaches X.Xghz under LN2'

99.9% of the population dont have access to this kind of stuff, so why do we care on how far it can go, why not just see how far they can push it under a good water rig or good air cooling, this would seem more informative, to me especially.

i understand that it shows what the chip is capable of but not in everyday use

just my

Some do have the technology, some on this site have it as well, they even have their own forum section. They could be interested by this. Not news to you doesn't make it not news. This is an enthusiast site, that is an enthusiast technology. And just because I don't have said equipment doesn't mean I don't wish I did, so maybe I like reading about all computer hardware dealings. Weird.

It is relevant, it fits the goals of this site exactly.

99% of the population also don't overclock, according to your stance we might as well shut down the site and stop talking about all of it.

Just saying.

·
Premium Member
10,848 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
Some do have the technology, some on this site have it as well, they even have their own forum section. They could be interested by this. Not news to you doesn't make it not news. This is an enthusiast site, that is an enthusiast technology. And just because I don't have said equipment doesn't mean I don't wish I did, so maybe I like reading about all computer hardware dealings. Weird.

99% of the population also don't overclock, according to your stance we might as well shut down the site and stop talking about all of it.

Just saying.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post

Just saying.

+rep

·
Matisse
3,808 Posts
Phenom II X4 has already hit 6.665GHz

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
True, but I'm curious if having both DDR2 and DDR3 controllers present effects an overclock. I'm kind of starting to think it may cause slightly lower oc's, though I have nothing concrete to base this on, just a trend I'm starting to get.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao
View Post

Just saying.

Don't try to say you can't see the point that burning-skies is making.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

I honestly can't, and you yourself are a high end overclocker, so I would think you'd agree.

It has nothing to do with what chip maker is being used, the use of LN2 technology is applicable to what we do and what interests our field. Seeing things that I can't experiment with myself is why I come here. If I had to sit and only read about the technologies I get to play with myself I'd get bored with this place inside of a day and stop coming.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

he has a point. but don't you see, a lot of the stuff in guiness doesn't even matter in real world day to day applications.

so don't try to say you can't see the point pao is making as well

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
Worthless to me, i would feel the same way about an i7 on LN2 its just not something anyone uses. But I can see this being enticing to the handful of people in the world who do bench with LN2 as exotic cooling powered overclocks have been the only place a phenom II > the i7 by far. so in conclusion unless its on air *yawn* for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts