Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*AMD OC newbie*
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's all, after 17 years with AMD I want to try Intel, and with my budget I can afford any of that 2 "combos", personally, I like the Mark 1 more, but don't know what can be better deal.

I'm goning to use 16Gb (2x8) Trident Z 3200Mhz

Thanks in advance!!

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
The primary difference between the i7-7700K and i7-8700K is core count. The former has four cores while the latter has six. Both are hyper-threaded. I personally wouldn't consider an i7-7700K unless the price was well under $300, probably around $270 to $280. At that price point, I'd probably rather have the i5-8600K.

What will this system be used for?

·
*AMD OC newbie*
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gaming, mostly, with a 1070 ftw 1440p

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
I have a hard time suggesting Kaby Lake over Coffee Lake. The i7-8700K is basically an optimized i7-7700K with 50% more cores and threads. The issue is finding it in stock anywhere. I wouldn't get an i7-7700K unless it was around $270 to $280.

Another option to consider is the R7 1700. Not quite as good for gaming and doesn't clock nearly as high, but tremendous value if you do more than gaming.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING will hold a i7-8700k back , it's worse than a TUF Mark 1 and needs to power 50% more cores

TUF Mark 1 won't hold an i7-7700k back

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
The i7-8700K is still the superior processor, even if it "only" reaches the same clocks.

• Rep+
Reactions: CarnageHimura

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
My point was for the money there's so many better Z370 boards. the z370 TUF series is just horrible value when just about every board at its price point of $160 has better audio, better memory QVL, easier to match colorscheme. better RGB (lol) , better VRM (i.e. not broken LLC), better IO, etc

I would get a Z370-a from the ASUS line if you stick with Asus and need a midrange board. There's so many options that aren't the TUF z370 boards.

·
*AMD OC newbie*
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your answers, the MoBo are based mostly on budget and availability on my zone (I'm in Mexico) for example, we don´t had shortage on 8gen, but good motherboards are a problem, I have to sell a couple of things of my actual rig in order to reach my budget, I will try to find a better MoBo for 8gen then, I think only if I find a very good discount I go with 7th, but if not, 8th gen is the way, thank you to all for your time and answers!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts