Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
A friend of mine told me that there is a virus that turns of your CPU cooler so that your CPU can explode.Is that possible?If it is i want that virus

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
well thats called a BIOS virus... almost if not every mobo sold today has anti-virus against those type.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
well thats called a BIOS virus... almost if not every mobo sold today has anti-virus against those type.
what should i type in google to find it

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottko View Post
Hi guys.
A friend of mine told me that there is a virus that turns of your CPU cooler so that your CPU can explode.Is that possible?If it is i want that virus

I suppose yes, it could be possible. Programs such as speedfan allow users to adjust fan speeds on their computers. However, I have yet to hear of such a virus, and to be honest, in most cases motherboards have safeguards against catastrophic fan failure (ie, if fan rpm = 0 system immediately shuts down.) And even if the system didnt have a safeguard chances are the HS would be able to cool the CPU down enough so that it did not *explode*. Chances are the system would start to thermal throttle, and then BSOD.

Higgins is correct about the bios aspect. Most every CMOS chip out there is write protected unless the user disables this. So long as your CMOS is write protected you should be ok.

As to finding out where the virus is, and how to use it, you are at the wrong forum for that type of thing.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
i guess if you found a way to set fan RPM to 0, turn off thermal throttling, turn off auto shutdown, it would still BSOD because of failures, but by then something bad has happened so the chip is probably fried. but how to do that, i have no idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubnotub1 View Post
I suppose yes, it could be possible. Programs such as speedfan allow users to adjust fan speeds on their computers. However, I have yet to hear of such a virus, and to be honest, in most cases motherboards have safeguards against catastrophic fan failure (ie, if fan rpm = 0 system immediately shuts down.) And even if the system didnt have a safeguard chances are the HS would be able to cool the CPU down enough so that it did not *explode*. Chances are the system would start to thermal throttle, and then BSOD.

Higgins is correct about the bios aspect. Most every CMOS chip out there is write protected unless the user disables this. So long as your CMOS is write protected you should be ok.

As to finding out where the virus is, and how to use it, you are at the wrong forum for that type of thing.
Thanks for the advice
I use speedfan to keep warm

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
unless it's some super uber virus that flashes your bios to shut down your fan as well as your auto shut off or subliminally mesages you to unplug your cpu fan and set your auto shut off to 1000 degrees than the most it can do is acces your shut down feature and turn off your pc. even if it did shut off your fan not many people cut their as5 with nitro glycerin so your cpu wouldn't explode

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,729 Posts
You maybe could get it to work with like, .05% of all motherboards. And even if you got it to work with more, I doubt a 40MB + Virus would be very practical (Lack of better word, so eh.)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mashersmasher
View Post

even if it did shut off your fan not many people cut their as5 with nitro glycerin so your cpu wouldn't explode

Duh I wouldnt use nitro glycerin...*wipes it off*

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
HAHAHA!!..... wow... this made me laugh so much when i first read it. as for this - if it were possible, it would have already been around everyones pc's and then blammed by everyones anti virus thingys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts