Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run some fans to determine how noisy they are, but if I attach them to the PSU as the computer is running the sound from the computer will make it difficult for me to determine the noise coming from the fan. I have a whole bunch of spare PSU's and am wondering if there's something I can do to it that's no more than a matter of snipping and reattaching some wires (i.e. no soldering) to make it run by itself so I can hook fans to it.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger View Post
Explode the PSU? I'm not going to try it then.
It won't explode the PSU.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Just plug the 24 pin plug from the spare psu into your current motherboard (after unplugging the one you're using of course), and then hit the power switch on your case.

This will cause only the spare PSU to turn on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Short the green wire with a black one with the fan plugged in...and the psu won't explode as long as it is working one and in good condition i.e: isn't bad before plugging in..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Just plug the 24 pin plug from the spare psu into your current motherboard (after unplugging the one you're using of course), and then hit the power switch on your case.

This will cause only the spare PSU to turn on.

Won't that also turn the computer on?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanielcheckers
View Post

Don't do it for more than a couple ... in rpm when the lighter is pushed in tho lol

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by auricgoldfinger
View Post

Won't that also turn the computer on?

yeah that would lol... just do the green and black wire short with a paper clip.
It will not make your power supply explode, I have left one on all night by accident and nothing happened. Only problem with it is that your efficiency will be really bad running only fans, so just use like a 250W or 300W PSU and not a 1.4kW PSU, that would be a waste of electricity lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts