Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UV reactive tubing is an inexpensive, quick, and effective way to make your computer look cool if you own UV cathodes. This tutorial will show you how to make UV reactive tubing with a few simple steps. So... lets get to it!

Step 1 - Gathering the materials

You'll need:
  1. UV Cathodes (most computer stores sell them for $10)
  2. Clear tubing of any size (Visit your local Hardware store)
  3. Highlighters
  4. Bottle of water
  5. Scissors
  6. Pliers
  7. Funnel (Optional)
  8. Gloves (Optional but strongly recommended)
  9. Hot Glue Gun
  10. Plastic Measuring Cup (PAPER IS NOT RECOMMENDED)
  11. Old Rag (Optional but recommended)

-------------------------------------

Step 2 - Cap the first end

Find and clean place to work and set out your tube and pre-warmed hot glue gun

Now we have to cap ONE end of the tube, Don't use to much glue!

When you're done it should look like this, be sure and let it cool down before moving on!

Step 3 - Breaking open the Highlighter

Start by clearing off your workspace and setting out these materials/tools

Now would be a good time to put those gloves on!

Remove the highlighters cap and firmly hold the back end and break the plastic with the pliers. Repeat this until you can retrieve the ink holder

This is what you will be keeping, you can just trash the rest of the highlighter

Step 4 - Extracting the Fluids

Start by setting out an old rag (I'm using a shirt) the core of the highlighter and the plastic measuring cup

Firmly holding the top and squeeze as much fluid out as possible into the cup. Do this for both sides

Once you've squeezed out all you can fold the core in half and squeeze the rest of the fluids out

You should end up with something like this (Now would be a good time to take off your gloves)

Step 5 - Mixing the fluids

First punch two good sized holes in the cap of the water bottle

Now pour water into your tube until it's almost to the top

Stop here!

Now pour out the remaining water in the bottle (its ok if there's a little left on the edges). Once you've done that pour the water from the tube back into the bottle (the best way to do that is put the open end in the bottle and shake the tube)

Now carefully pour the Highlighter fluid into the water bottle

Shake the bottle for about 15 seconds, Don't forget to cover the holes!

Step 6 - Finishing up

SLOWLY pour the mixture into the tube

Stop with DOUBLE the space left that you plan on capping with glue

Now using the hot glue gun, cap off the end, be sure and do it SLOWLY because the pressure could force the liquid out!

You should end up with this, be sure and let it cool down before moving on!

Now for a quick drip test, shake the tube and be sure nothing drips out! if it passes you're good to go. if it drips, fill the leak with glue.

Step 7 - Enjoy!

As you can see, when held up to the UV light it emits a blueish-green color

You're done!

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Haha

That sick mate

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy View Post
i would say add a drop of anti-bacterial so you don't have to change it as often. but that is a very nice little trick to add some flavor to your case.
Hmm... never thought of that. Good tip though!

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
I was expecting this to be a guide on dying the tubing to be UV active such that you can have color in a cooling loop in which you wish to run straigt Distilled + Biocide without any coloring additives

but for people who want the look of WC tubing in an aircooled rig this would be ideal.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
I'm with rado. I thought it was a way to make uv tubing itself, not a coolant. Interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I guess the whole point is to give people an inexpensive way to make their case look cool. Besides anyone can dump UV ink into a cooling loop right?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow thats pretty sick now lets see someone use pvc and acrylic and use about 30 of these in a case that will look awesome.

·
Registered
689 Posts
iirc, hot glue sticks act as fiber optics almost when they are near black lights, there might be something cool that you could do with that. nice guide though looks sweet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts