Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everybody.

I would like to share this information on how to replace a power supply's fan.

Now the problem is always that the fan cables are always soldered onto the PSU itself.
Here I have made this picture (please zoom to read the text) to show in steps how to follow this process.

Also note that when you have everything installed, the white wire should be covered up with a small piece of electrical tape aswell (to prevent damage/failure).

If you'd like to ask a question, feel free
thumb.gif

·
What can't a 4+1 phase do
959 Posts
I would hope that people building computers would know that the red wire goes to the red wire, and the black one goes to the black.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Electrical tape holding wires together... inside of the power supply... I'm not sure I like that idea personally. I would prefer to at least twist and shrink wrap them, or solder and shrink wrap. Or get creative and run the leads out, throw some new pins and a header on them and connect it to a fan controller for fun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm, I always tough electrical tape was supposed to hold wires together, therefore the name "electrical tape"?
But most modern power supplies don't want to start if there is no fan detected
tongue.gif

·
What can't a 4+1 phase do
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletProofGeek View Post

Hm, I always tough electrical tape was supposed to hold wires together, therefore the name "electrical tape"?
But most modern power supplies don't want to start if there is no fan detected
tongue.gif
Electrical tape is mainly to insulate the wires, so you don't have the + and - crossing at an undesired point. It really isn't that strong (the adhesive, you can easily pull electrical tape wrapped wires apart if they are only twisted together), and can tend to slide down the wire if you don't wrap it tight enough. Solder and heatshrink makes it much cleaner, more durable, and less risky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts