1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://twinfinite.net/2017/08/half-life-3-game-jam/
https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/half-life-3-epistle-3-game-jam
Quote:
With submissions due in two months, the game jam's one rule is to use Laidlaw's script either "in whole or in part of a style of your choosing" to create something. Other than that, would-be developers are free to set the game in whatever genre or art style they want and use the script's genderswapped characters or the original ones found in the franchise's proper universe.

That freedom to go in any direction with the script is critical to this game jam; the itch.io page for the Epistle 3 jam proudly states that "Half Life 3 is finally free, where it belongs." With Half-Life fans having to wait so long just to get this plot summary, now is the time to cut loose and make the Half-Life game that you've always dreamed of.
LINK TO SUBMISSIONS HERE.

I'll be doing voice work on one of the projects, so it should be fun times.
yessir.gif

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,514 Posts
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
If it's anything like the Black Mesa development timeline, it's going to take 5 years to develop... *Sigh* I'll wait patiently
biggrin.gif

@ACleverName I love your avatar btw.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I like the optimism, however Half-Life has always been associated with a new leap in technology, such as advanced physics or material properties. If the game is created in Source, it will still feel and play like a dated game, if created in UE4 or similar, there is a whole lot of work needed to be done, for this to be a worthy successor. I'd rather they just let legacy be legacy and leave the Half-Life series to be dead until Valve decides to do something, and instead create something unique.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC View Post

I like the optimism, however Half-Life has always been associated with a new leap in technology, such as advanced physics or material properties. If the game is created in Source, it will still feel and play like a dated game, if created in UE4 or similar, there is a whole lot of work needed to be done, for this to be a worthy successor. I'd rather they just let legacy be legacy and leave the Half-Life series to be dead until Valve decides to do something, and instead create something unique.
HL2: EP1 & 2 weren't leaps in technology from HL2 though. This isn't HL3, it's just finishing the HL2 episodic story-line.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,514 Posts
Legacy can be made new: http://www.nexusmods.com/halflife2/mods/9

I look forward to it, and applying the following custom settings:
  • Ambient Occlusion (will need a mod, but HL2 has one)
  • Down-sampling from 4K+ or even 8K
  • Ultrawide screen aspect ratio
As much as HL2 was a technology showcase, there was a story and it needs some closure as well. It's long overdue.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
This would be awesome. Maybe build it on the CS:GO engine if they can somehow. Its not brilliant but a step up and still Steam based

Sadly im guessing though Steam can send a pretty letter to them forcing all development to halt as we have seen with sooo many fan based games/mods/addons.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post

If it's anything like the Black Mesa development timeline, it's going to take 5 years to develop... *Sigh* I'll wait patiently
biggrin.gif

@ACleverName I love your avatar btw.
thank you, like yours also!

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,822 Posts
Great, just bought HL2 and Episodes 1 & 2 recently from Steam for peanuts. I had played HL2 to it's conclusion back in the day. I think I will play it over and the Episodes which I never played with the now added bonus of finishing the story with Episode 3!

I plan to use all the mods to enhance everything before I play.

If Valve plays it right, they will allow this, which should boost its sales of HL2 on Steam.

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:

Honestly don't think Valve cares enough anymore, its why they're allowing the equivalent of fanfic writers to finish the job. Can't blame them either. This IP is ancient; only the diehards and meme lovers are still attached to it.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
We are less than two months away from the tenth anniversary of the Orange Box; if I can guess, I'd say that Valve, behind the scenes, allowed Mark Laidlaw to publish a slightly altered and perhaps more concise version of the original script.

At least we get some closure. But if they don't care about Episode 3 anymore, which seems likely by now, I don't know why some would hope that they would still care about a hypothetical Half-Life 3. To much of my dismay, they seem more focused on just investing in digital fast food games that assures them daily micro monetization and daily visits to the Store and thus a steady revenue stream than also investing in more risky story driven games that have a much more limited lifetime.

Perhaps the biggest dismay comes from seeing that in practice they don't seem one bit interested in being known for both styles anymore, even if the single player gamers turn out to be a minority. I guess they conceded that to other outlets.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing the fan made projects and be sure to provide news on your participation frickfrock.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

...At least we get some closure. But if they don't care about Episode 3 anymore, which seems likely by now, I don't know why some would hope that they would still care about a hypothetical Half-Life 3. To much of my dismay, they seem more focused on just investing in digital fast food games that assures them daily micro monetization and daily visits to the Store and thus a steady revenue stream than also investing in more risky story driven games that have a much more limited lifetime...
While I agree that they have grown large due to Steam, I still believe that their heart are as a game company, and I truly hope that Steam Dev Days are going to reveal something big. Artifact seems to be a direct attempt at scoring some of the money from the other card games around, however they need to keep their momentum going, and Artifact is not a game which can be a showcase for years to come, such as Half-Life proved to be. They either need to revisit an older IP (HL3) or create a new IP which can carry the company forth into the coming years, both through technological developments (VR) or with a breakthrough in game design (Graphics, Physics etc.)
If Valve does not fuel the fire which started with HL2, Portal and L4D, it will slowly burn out, which will no matter what, be a worse business strategy.

• Rep+
Reactions: lombardsoup

·
Politically incorrect
3,687 Posts
Quote:

While I agree that they have grown large due to Steam, I still believe that their heart are as a game company, and I truly hope that Steam Dev Days are going to reveal something big. Artifact seems to be a direct attempt at scoring some of the money from the other card games around, however they need to keep their momentum going, and Artifact is not a game which can be a showcase for years to come, such as Half-Life proved to be. They either need to revisit an older IP (HL3) or create a new IP which can carry the company forth into the coming years, both through technological developments (VR) or with a breakthrough in game design (Graphics, Physics etc.)
If Valve does not fuel the fire which started with HL2, Portal and L4D, it will slowly burn out, which will no matter what, be a worse business strategy.
This. It feels like Valve is abdicating responsibility. Its their baby, they need to finish the job themselves.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Quote:

I agree, they do need that king of allure from time to time, the kind that got them to have other devs to put their games on the store, but given how big Steam is nowadays, I have to wonder if they feel that need or if they think that Steam is on wheels and will just keep going as long as they keep making the necessary quality of life improvements over the years.

Maybe they'll make a comeback, I hope they do, but it's been so long now...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

I agree, they do need that king of allure from time to time, the kind that got them to have other devs to put their games on the store, but given how big Steam is nowadays, I have to wonder if they feel that need or if they think that Steam is on wheels and will just keep going as long as they keep making the necessary quality of life improvements over the years.

Maybe they'll make a comeback, I hope they do, but it's been so long now...
Sure it has been long, but that might as well be a great strategy as well. Releasing sub-par games would only scrutinize their image as one of the best developers around, and the hype for HL3 is still boiling on forums. It might just be me, but I think there is a fine line between how long a company can wait before releasing a new "show stopper" game, and when the hype has faded away. No matter what Valve does, there a no real competition right now other than Blizzard, which truly know how to create a long lasting experience in a game. Gabe Newell mentioned that they were working on three new games, and I hope that Artifact is the one which has had the least of attention from the developers!

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Quote:

Sure it has been long, but that might as well be a great strategy as well. Releasing sub-par games would only scrutinize their image as one of the best developers around, and the hype for HL3 is still boiling on forums. It might just be me, but I think there is a fine line between how long a company can wait before releasing a new "show stopper" game, and when the hype has faded away. No matter what Valve does, there a no real competition right now other than Blizzard, which truly know how to create a long lasting experience in a game. Gabe Newell mentioned that they were working on three new games, and I hope that Artifact is the one which has had the least of attention from the developers!
How long would you say that fine line is in this case?

Unless this is one of their oldschool trollings, releasing Dota 2 in 2013 and then the next game announcement that they make is in 2017 and is a Dota 2 based card game... I have reason to be sceptical.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

How long would you say that fine line is in this case?

Unless this is one of their oldschool trollings, releasing Dota 2 in 2013 and then the next game announcement that they make is in 2017 and is a Dota 2 based card game... I have reason to be sceptical.
Well, we are still talking about their games, right? If Valve released a spectacular game at Valve Dev Days we would immediately forgive them for the long wait, as "good games take time to make". I believe that many businesses artificially drags out time to increase the impact when their product finally launches.
Sure I'm skeptical as well, however from a pure business standpoint it wouldn't make sense to not release a AAA title, as it would surely pay for itself many-fold, and it would hopefully create a new platform for game/mod development, such as HL2 (Source) did. HL2 was not single handily a great game, it was due to the mods that it became popular, heck, I bought it to play Garry's Mod, and only later played the core game.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Just wait till the game is released and everyone starts complaining, about how bad it is. then everyone is gonna blast the people that made it saying they suck. I honestly feel for the people making this game, due to the fact that they are gonna get so beat down for not being at a specific standard with this game. That is up to most gamers snuff. I hope they do a good job. I will prep for the worst and hope for the best. I honestly see in vision a side scrolling contra version of HL E3. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Quote:

Well, we are still talking about their games, right? If Valve released a spectacular game at Valve Dev Days we would immediately forgive them for the long wait, as "good games take time to make". I believe that many businesses artificially drags out time to increase the impact when their product finally launches.
Sure I'm skeptical as well, however from a pure business standpoint it wouldn't make sense to not release a AAA title, as it would surely pay for itself many-fold, and it would hopefully create a new platform for game/mod development, such as HL2 (Source) did. HL2 was not single handily a great game, it was due to the mods that it became popular, heck, I bought it to play Garry's Mod, and only later played the core game.
Sure, I still hold out some hope and technically Portal 2 is within the HL universe, so it's only been 6 years; that's the time it took between the first Half-Life game (1998) and the second (2004), but from everything that I've read over time and especially Gabe's recent interviews, they really seem to be directing their efforts towards social games, including VR, not narrative driven single player games.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts