Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 391 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~ R3ap3R : The entire guide is available for download; these are images, so you can't copy paste (sorry)... Credit for guide redesign goes out to Semper Fidelis, woot! The sources of information are cited if they are retrieved via any single site, person, or OCN member. Non-cited material is either originally developed by myself, or is compiled from the various classes, labs, and courses which I have personally attended.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

You should take a few moments and photographically memorize the Terms of Service for this forum.

Anything posted here on the Forum is from that instant forward Property of OverClock.net.

Another tip: it's not pallatable trying to read someone's help guide when they start off slapping themselves on the back as they elevate themselves above mere mortals.

Edited to comply, thx
For those who are wondering, I originally had intentions of publishing the guide once done...

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now taking requests for next section... so much to cover, not sure what everyone wants.... I was thinking about visual effects, environment variables, or startup and recovery... may even post how to shrink your vista partition and run dual-boot or tri-boot setups, or VM applications. Input?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know who made it... probably the same people that made this (j/k)
I have no interest in it. It is an open source toolbar, with no revenue, fame, or even recognition.... just something I posted. Plus, it is not my website... is ourtoolbar.com. But that's cool... i will refrain from posting stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckydude
View Post

Have you mentioned anything about multi-core booting
?

Affinities and priorities will be done by Thursday or so

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
busy all day tommorow, may or may not get a chance to answer questions or add more until tuesday morning... but I probably will add something tommorow.... I'm out, p3ac3

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3ap3R
View Post

Affinities and priorities will be done by Thursday or so

I was actually talking about the multi-core boot option that you can enable in msconfig. When this option is enabled Vista uses more than one core to boot up core your computer.

First open up msconfig and go to the boot tab:

Then click on the "advanced options" button, you will come to this:

Next, check the "Number Of Processors" setting and select the maximum number of processors to get the best boot speed:

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckydude View Post
kdfhsdfsg
You can also end /numproc=2 to the end of the boot.ini entry. This works on all Microsoft operating systems so don't hesitate to use it on Windows XP or Windows 2000 too.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrospekt
View Post

You can also end /numproc=2 to the end of the boot.ini entry. This works on all Microsoft operating systems so don't hesitate to use it on Windows XP or Windows 2000 too.

True, but I am trying to keep it "noob friendly".... Quad cores would want /numproc=4, but same idea. I might write all the boot.ini tweaks, and I will quote/cred you if I do... thx, rep+

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 View Post
About ReadyBoost, I have read somewhere it makes almost no difference. I have a 2GB Flashdrive, should I use it and would it make a difference?
Assuming that it is "ready boost ready", you can store 4GB of compressed "super fetch" data on it. The difference on your rig will not be noticeably affected right away, but will be noticeable over time. See, the "superfetch" data is a artifically intelligent tracker of your habits. Over time, your PC learns what programs you run morning v evening, before lunch/after lunch, weekdays/weekends, etc. So, if you always check your email first, then the data for your email is stored on the superfetch "page file" and is retrieved faster from the flash drive than from your HD.... it is worth it, if you aren't using it for something else. Personally, I use a high-speed 4gb CF card, so that I don't have the obtrusion of yet another thumbdrive sticking out of yet another usb hub. Also, changing the polling of your USB 2.0 device to match that proposed in the new USB 3.0 standard will help as well, but is so complicated to do that even I have yet to try it... will post directions after I try it on one of my P.O.S. compaq's.

1 - 20 of 391 Posts