Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Liquid Cooled launched, faster than RTX 3090 | TweakTown

The new Radeon RX 6900 XT Liquid Cooled graphics card has AMD overclocking the TBP to 330W, and the 16GB of GDDR6 memory to 18Gbps. These two tweaks provide enough performance that AMD says the new Radeon RX 6900 XT Liquid Cooled can better battle NVIDIA's flagship GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and GeForce RTX 3090 graphics cards.

The GPU itself has a game clock of up to 2250MHz, boost clock of 2435MHz -- 235MHz and 185MHz overclocked over the air-cooled version of the Radeon RX 6900 XT, respectively.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Those seem like pretty low clocks for a liquid cooled card knowing OCers get them up 2800+ on air. I guess it must be mainly to keep the power draw where they want it so no one complains about it being a Bulldozer

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Those seem like pretty low clocks for a liquid cooled card knowing OCers get them up 2800+ on air. I guess it must be mainly to keep the power draw where they want it so no one complains about it being a Bulldozer
You’re probably right about tdp.
Honestly I’m more surprised nobody is talking about the 3080/ti/90 tdp. My 3080 ti pulls 400w at stock, yes that’s just the card. Granted it’s the evga ftw3, but it’s still ridiculous and hard to cool in anything not amazing at air cooling.

This gen in general is really stupid about tdp, but at least the navi cards have better raster efficiency. I really wish AMD could get their software stack in the right place.

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I’m more surprised nobody is talking about the 3080/ti/90 tdp. My 3080 ti pulls 400w at stock, yes that’s just the card. Granted it’s the evga ftw3, but it’s still ridiculous and hard to cool in anything not amazing at air cooling.

This gen in general is really stupid about tdp, but at least the navi cards have better raster efficiency. I really wish AMD could get their software stack in the right place.
Ampere is a compute architecture, it's no surprise the power it draws. AMD stripped Navi of a ton of functionality when compared to GCN to bring the TDP down. Even their "Pro" Navi cards are practicality useless except for CAD even then I'm sure Nvidia's OptiX renderer crushes it. Then we look at the hilarious pricing of the W6800 when compared to the Radeon Pro VII.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Doesn't Navi need a ton of power to match Ampere in performance? Like how the 6900 XTX-H pulls 3090 power.

·
Invalid Media
4,783 Posts
I'm not really sure what the 'new' is in the 'news' referenced above - water-cooled 6900 XTs (including but not limited to the 'H' model) have been around for a while...and yes, the quoted clocks seem low. I also wonder a bit about that smallish rad.

As to power consumption, my (w-cooled) 3x8 pin 3090 Strix regularly goes to 500 W and beyond on stock bios, never mind the secondary custom bios on there. I also picked up a 3x8 pin 6900 XT just over a week ago for another 4K work+play build, and even on air, that far exceeds the clocks mentioned above (w-block waiting to be mounted). With software tools, it can also get easily past 400 W.

·
Registered
497 Posts
AMD's 'boost' and 'game' clocks make no sense at all.

I have a 6800 XT that the AIB advertises as having a game clock of 2065MHz, it has NEVER ever not ran at 2,300MHz+ in all games at completely stock settings.

Heck, it runs 'game' clocks higher than the card's maximum advertised 'boost' clock of 2310MHz.

Most reviews i've read of the 6800 XT also showed that reviewers were getting well above the advertised frequencies.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Air cooled 6900xt in general suite of games(outside of heavy nvidia sponsored titles) was walking away from the 3090. A water cooled version out of the box will defiantly be out front by even more. Amd also this gen is funner to overclock, ampere is has minimail head room and power consumption trade off for clocks is very poor.

This card though won't be on a shelf to buy and Will be impossible to get your hands on. None the less it will still be a cool unicorn.

·
Registered
693 Posts

My 6900XT barely pulls 300W while gaming. (Watercooled Alphacool Block). Good compromise compared to the Dutch Ovens of the 3080 Ti and 3090...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
This is a card for system integrators, period.

LC 6900XT are already everywhere by some time...the true "news" for this model is that they are using the most binned one chips.....this can make sense since it will be all the time temp-limited and a more binned chip allows less voltage and help the thermal performance..... I wonder if there is a EK wb fullcover there and in case, if it can be integrated into a custom loop.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Vega64 LC had the same LC design if I'm not wrong and when in turbo mode it could even be more power hungry than a 6900XT lol so it should be "fine" (for a OEM solution)

·
I <3 narcissists
7,154 Posts
Releasing a card for OEM's .....they can take a long walk off a short pier with this, more cards out of our hands.

It's because it isn't a new thing, my 2080ti runs 375 watts, also a ftw3.

·
PC Evangelist
47,673 Posts
The clk are most likely power limited. This is XTXH + 18Gbps + LC.

·
Banned
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...this one was officially 'released' a few months back...I much prefer the AIO 360 for a card like that...
The benefit of the RX Vega 64 XTX was the binning, same with the RX 5700 XT black limited edition card. This is probably in the same boat.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts