Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Wow, I didn't even make it past the first line in the review.

Quote:

For the last five years Intel has completely dominated the CPU market with the Core architecture.

Five years eh? Not even three.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
How can a CPU give so much FPS increase in Crysis the most GPU demanded game? I get 1 FPS increase form 3Ghz to 3.8Ghz Q6600.

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
Wowza, nicely landed intel, we were getting worried

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have no idea how the I7 965 Extreme managed to get so many more FPS with a higher QPI and barely any frequency increase. When I went from 3.0GHz on my Q9650 to 4.24GHz I barely saw 8fps average extra, let alone as much as that showed.

It is good to see that the extreme versions give you something more than just an unlocked multiplier though. I always considered them a big waste of money.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
I'm still rocking the OG C2D. Sadly, I'll have to hold onto this for a bit longer.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Very High Detail, 1600x1200, 10fps increase from C2D to i7? OK.

11 fps jump from 2.7 to 3.2? Really?

Vantage Scores doubled by going from FSB to QPI??? Ha.

Sure Tweaktown.... Sure.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
nice...

we were pretty much expecting that, but still...

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReignsOfPower View Post
I have no idea how the I7 965 Extreme managed to get so many more FPS with a higher QPI and barely any frequency increase. When I went from 3.0GHz on my Q9650 to 4.24GHz I barely saw 8fps average extra, let alone as much as that showed.

It is good to see that the extreme versions give you something more than just an unlocked multiplier though. I always considered them a big waste of money.
It isn't just the different in clock speed, the chip is more efficient per clock, just like the 45nm Penryns outpaced 65nm Conroes at the same clock speed, and just like Core2s outpacing the original Core architecture, and the Core architecture outpacing the Pentium 4s. CPUs can make a difference, would anyone expect a P4 at 4Ghz to perform anywhere near a Core2 at 4Ghz?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll wait for The Tech Report before making a conclusion.

Tweaktown has been in enough controversies (score swapping) for me to not trust them at all.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry_John_Scott View Post
Very High Detail, 1600x1200, 10fps increase from C2D to i7? OK.

11 fps jump from 2.7 to 3.2? Really?

Vantage Scores doubled by going from FSB to QPI??? Ha.

Sure Tweaktown.... Sure.
I am with you mate. I just cant see the CPU doing so much in terms of fps.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Theres more to it than just the memory controller, how about the interconnet, or the fact that all four cores are on one die.

I mean go back and look and the intercommunication latency of the cpu's its barely existent.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Those Crysis scores look absolutely off considering it is at Very High and 1680x1050. They must have been running some 280GX2 or something to have that kind of CPu influence.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts