Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to @coreteks on Twitter, "They (AMD) want to release the 16GB at $599 and the 8GB at $499 but after the Ampere announcement I'm expecting $549 for the 16GB and $499 for the 8GB. We're receiving the ASIC (GPU+MEM) this month (September)".

So, NVIDIA's surprise jebaited price of $499 for the new Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3070 and $699 for the even-better GeForce RTX 3080 -- has really affected AMD. I'm sure they didn't expect the pricing to be so damn unlike the RTX 20 series, that AMD could be shaking at their knees a little bit.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74965/nvidias-cheap-ampere-cards-force-amd-big-navi-with-16gb-price-to-549/index.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74965/nvidias-cheap-ampere-cards-force-amd-big-navi-with-16gb-price-to-549/index.html

The rumor mill for Big Navi should start heating up now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,923 Posts

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So an opinion based rumor?
Hence "Rumors and Unconfirmed"

Coreteks is the source and TT is patting themselves on the back about their Ampere rumors.

However, I felt it worthy of its own thread. Haven't heard much about Big Navi lately. That should start to change since nVidia laid some of their cards on the table.

·
4k Enthusiast
3,923 Posts
inb4 AMD fanboys get defensive with their "The sole reason Nvidia didn't charge $9000.01 for the RTX 3080 because they know Big Navi is the most awesome GPU ever in history"

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
inb4 AMD fanboys get defensive with their "The sole reason Nvidia didn't charge $9000.01 for the RTX 3080 because they know Big Navi is the most awesome GPU ever in history"
I think if AMD was gonna compete on performance we would have heard something to counter Nvidias announcement. The 3080 launches in two weeks roughly and they need to stop some purchases which is why if we don't hear anything next week it will be similar to the 5700xt.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,351 Posts
Good to hear something about big Navi.
Rumor makes it sound like a bit faster than a 3070, but has the vram people crave.

Edit: Should be a good upgrade for Vega.

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I don't know about that.

I think there is a difference between being a fanboy and having a brand preference. I unreservedly say, as of now, my preference is AMD. Based on what I know right this second, my CPU preference is AMD and my GPU preference leans nVidia. I hope Big Navi can compete, but nvidia's gpus and services suite is quite compelling. You'd have to be a fool to deny it.

I also hope Intel gets their ducks in one row and figures it out. Seems like forever since I've built an Intel system. (5820k being my last personal build and a 7920X for a work build) I want to build a 7nm or 5nm Intel system and I want to build it with an Intel GPU. I admit that there is no rhyme or reason to it, except to say, I want a brand homogenous build. I admit, it's silly, but it's the way my mind works.

EDIT: ....I should add, unreservedly, that my preference changes all the time.

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think if AMD was gonna compete on performance we would have heard something to counter Nvidias announcement. The 3080 launches in two weeks roughly and they need to stop some purchases which is why if we don't hear anything next week it will be similar to the 5700xt.
I completely agree. If they don't attempt to stop Ampere's momentum, it tells you almost everything you need to know about big navi this go around.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,330 Posts
I thought it was going to be more than a 5700xt replacement. I am going to ignore this rumor and continue to hope.

·
PC Enthusiast
980 Posts
This is what I'm thinking too.

I feel like the best AMD card would barely match the 3080, or maybe land between 3080 & 3080Ti at best.

I completely agree. If they don't attempt to stop Ampere's momentum, it tells you almost everything you need to know about big navi this go around.
either that, or they're just nowhere near ready yet.

·
waifu for lifu
11,209 Posts
Rumors aside, if near 3080 performance, but $100 cheaper...how could you not? Its not an industry secret AMD loves to undercut LJM.

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought it was going to be more than a 5700xt replacement. I am going to ignore this rumor and continue to hope.
I don't think it means they'll be bad cards. I just think it would mean they don't have the rumored "nVidia killer". If they can launch a card at around 3080 performance for $550, that's nothing but win.

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
Who wouldn't pay the extra $50 for double the VRAM in that scenario?

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is what I'm thinking too.

I feel like the best AMD card would barely match the 3080, or maybe land between 3080 & 3080Ti at best.

either that, or they're just nowhere near ready yet.
True enough.

·
PC Enthusiast
980 Posts
BTW, is the Big Navi release scheduled for 2020??

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,351 Posts
8, 16GB sound like 256 or 512. 512 would be great and indicative of a giant die that will lose AMD money at this price. If 512, I also suspect that the price will be high relative to performance. If 256 then the die could be smaller and the price/perf ratio could be better.

Once again a rumor, but good to hear something.

·
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, is the Big Navi release scheduled for 2020??
I believe Lisa Su said they would have high end of the market solutions this year.

"My main message to our fans is this is just a beginning for us in 2020. I've heard a little bit through Twitter and Reddit that people are wondering about, you know, Big Navi. I can say you gonna see Big Navi in 2020. There might be few people wondering about Zen 3 as well and I can tell you that Zen 3 is doing really well, we are excited about it. I look forward talking about that later in 2020"

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70025/amd-ceo-dr-lisa-su-confirms-see-big-navi-2020/index.html
Jan 2020

This was in January though. Before pandemic shutdowns.

·
waifu for lifu
11,209 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hence "Rumors and Unconfirmed"

Coreteks is the source and TT is patting themselves on the back about their Ampere rumors.

However, I felt it worthy of its own thread. Haven't heard much about Big Navi lately. That should start to change since nVidia laid some of their cards on the table.

Coreteks is the guy who came up with the bright idea of the separate die for the traversal computing on the Ampere cards, which turned out to be utter BS, is he not?
If yes, it does not deserve its own thread, sorry, because that one was based on a speculation, where he showed he has no clue what he is actually talking about, and chances are, this is more of the same.

EDIT: Not that i want to tell anyone what to post or not, just voicing my opinion on Coreteks (if i did not mixed him with someone else).

·
Rig Advisor
2,220 Posts
I think it's a long shot, but I love the fact that Nvidia had a ton of leaks, but AMD is silent. No rumors, no inside photo leaks. I bet they come out on whatever day with a ******* sledge hammer. Not saying it will beat Nvidias offerings. But silence given that Nvidia has shown their hand is deafening. Given that AMD won the contracts for Xbox/Ps5 CPU/GPUs I don't think they have nearly as much pressure to "Kill" any of Nvidias offerings.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts