Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twin Frozr 4 vs DirectCu II

First of all I would like to inform you that this is not a comparison of the MSI GTX 680 Lightning and the ASUS GTX 680 DCII TOP cards. It is a comparison of their cooling solutions which has caused some debate on this forum. I got pretty tired of people going back and forth over which cooled better or which was quieter or which one had the fastest fan speeds. So since I have both cards I decided to compare both of them in my system and share with everyone the results. So first things first.....PICTURE TIME!!!

Twin Frozr 4

DirectCu II

So as far as appearance goes, you can judge for yourself. This isn't a beauty contest. This comparison is strictly on performance. So on to the test bench specs.

Hardware

Processor: Intel i7 3930K @ 4.8GHz
Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
Memory: G.Skill RipjawZ 16GB @ 2133MHz
Storage: 2x Crucial M4 128GB SSD RAID 0

Software

Windows 7 Professional
Afterburner v2.2.3
HWMoniter v1.90

Testing Equipment

ACU-RITE Temperature Monitor
Digital Instruments SL-814 Digital Sound Level Meter

TESTING

During the tests the Lightning was using the stock BIOS and both cards were OCed to a mild 1250MHz on the core.These two cards were designed to OC, so it didn't make any since to test the cooling at reference settings. During the temperature tests I ran Heaven at max settings @ 1920x1080 for ten minutes. At first I ran it longer but noticed that the temps would level off around ten minutes.

Average home 50dB
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm

I was a little surprised by the outcome. I knew the stats would be close but I thought for sure that the DCII would have the best temps. Overall if I had to chose between the two it would have to be the Twin Frozr even though I like the way the DCII looks (it matches my theme). The DCII is just too big (triple slot) for the performance that you get out of it. I blame it on their fan design. The angle of the fan blades are more aggressive as compared to the TF4. The design could easily be a two slot if they redesign the fans.

This is my first review so if it looks like I left something out, let me know.

- Jared

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
Just looking at the design you can see that a lot more work went to the TF4. Asus was always lazy with DCII making it a Triple Slot.

·
Not a Fan
2,653 Posts
Regardless of the outcome, thanks for pulling them apart so we can see what's in there.

And if it's any consolation, I own the Lightning and think "Twin Frozr" is possibly one of the lamest names in computer hardware. I'm glad the cards have the shrouds on the bottom so nobody can see that printed on the things.

·
POWER LURKER
733 Posts
Thanks for this review. Really helps, I guess I'm sticking with a Twin Frozr cooler for round 3
+rep for contributing!

·
Registered
118 Posts
great comparison, thanks for the stats and high quality images

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Good job, love my tf4 and the tf3 before it, always great coolers
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Nice comparison. Think you'd be interested in doing one with the DCII V2 (cooler that's on the gtx670 DCII/HD7870DCII V2 cards) cooler and maybe the gigabyte windforce X3?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

Nice comparison. Think you'd be interested in doing one with the DCII V2 (cooler that's on the gtx670 DCII/HD7870DCII V2 cards) cooler and maybe the gigabyte windforce X3?
Are you going to send me these two cards?
smile.gif
I don't know if I would compare the DCII V2 since it is on a 670 and 7870. I decided to compare the TF4 and DCII because I had them both on 680s. This leaves little to debate on which one performs better. If I would have done the review with one 680 and one 7970 the comparison would have been flawed. I would like to try and compare other cooling solutions for the 680 (Windforce, Signature 2, Amp!) but that takes money.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killbuzzjrad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

Are you going to send me these two cards?
smile.gif
I don't know if I would compare the DCII V2 since it is on a 670 and 7870. I decided to compare the TF4 and DCII because I had them both on 680s. This leaves little to debate on which one performs better. If I would have done the review with one 680 and one 7970 the comparison would have been flawed. I would like to try and compare other cooling solutions for the 680 (Windforce, Signature 2, Amp!) but that takes money.
smile.gif
Well I already sent the DC2T back to asus for rma. It's going to another member as soon as I get it back and test it so I won't be able to do that
biggrin.gif
. Since the 670 has both designs I might be interested in a comparison some day.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm a little curious as to how you measured the sound levels

I'm not really sure what the standard distance is for people who measure sound levels

But 50-60 db sounds awfully high to me, although I don't have any first hand experience with either of those two air coolers

Though I do know that air coolers do tend to be quite loud.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts