Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just ordered my second 7950, a Sapphire Dual-x to crossfire with my MSI TFIII 7950 and it just dawned on me that I only have a 620w Seasonic PSU at the moment:cryingsmi I am also running an i5 3570k @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.248v, 3 Kingston HyperX SSD's, six fans, and one dvd-r drive. Also, the PSU only has two 6 pin connectors so I connected two 6 pin adapters with two molex connectors on each one just to make sure I had enough cables and I do. Will I be able to pull this off until I order my x850 Seasonic or am I going to have to wait?? If I don't overclock the cards would it be possible? I dont want to wait..... haha. Me sO StoOpId!

Here is the power supply I have now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

and here is the power supply I am going to HOPEFULLY order tomorrow:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
According to the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator with all of my exact specs including my overclocked CPU it says the total reccomended wattage is 502w with AGEIA PhysX PPU enabled. Does this mean I'm safe until I get a new power supply in next week?

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and with 100% CPU Utilization and 100% peak system load my total reccomended wattage is 564w. Minimum wattage is 514w. I'm probably getting the card tomorrow so I just want to know if it would be safe to plug it in with no overclock on both cards

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Absolutely ! The Platinum 660 would also be a great choice if you have your heart set on more headroom.
thumb.gif

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I think I might just go with the x850 so I have lotsss of headroom because who knows what I am going to do in the future. When I built this rig a month ago I was DEFINETLY not going to crossfire, but......well, I'm sure you know how it is. So since I have an extra 56w of headroom right now would it be safe to slide the power limit over to 20%? Because I have boost cards and I don't want the clocks to fluctuate.

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzhoovEr View Post

Message Original Sin
I'm sorry, what?

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts

·
Watercooler
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I just bought the Seasonic. Thanks for your help though! It is much appreciated. I just feel more comfortable at 850w and with Seasonic. I haven't built a lot of computers in my time, but everytime I did I used Seasonic.

So I blew some extra money on two day shipping so I'll only have to have my card plugged into this PSU for one day. Damn, its a shame this PSU is only a month old it's really nice and now it is going to sit in the box for ages. Does anyone know how I can sell stuff on this site? I see that some people have a trader rating. I also have a Crysis 3 code that is coming with my 7950, but I already ordered crysis a couple days before I bought the card, so I'm going to want to get rid of that too and I just don't like craigslist.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts