Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back my trusty old 755 socket mobo died and I elected to build a new machine on a 1155 Asus p8z68 deluxe. The old hard drives from my 755 are full of valuable and important data. I put my operating system on a new crucial m4, and now I'm trying to hook up the two old hard drives and I'm hoping someone can steer me through the process since I've never done such a thing before. It just makes me nervous to think that all that data is looming there seeminly "Tied" to a different motherboard and I'm afraid to haul off and start tweaking with raid settings when I could potentially erase my files.... or something....

Guru needed.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I've never had a problem with switching mobo's on RAID drives before.

Edit: Just did a quick search and it all comes up saying as long as it's the same raid controller and ich9/ich10 then you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcclaskey View Post

the intel raid menu isn't recognizing them as raid disks... should it do that automatically?
You may have to place them into an array... but do NOT select to delete data.

Why do you have important data that is not backed up!?

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
If you're migrating the drives to the same raid controller it will be fine other wise it will not work.

Also, as duckie said: Y U NO HAS BACKUP!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i guess it was technological hubris after all i never thought that if the MOTHERBOARD failed, I wouldn't be able to access my data... i entered the raid configuration utility on my new motherboard and it gave me only two options. "Delete raid system" or "create new raid system"... Neither of which sound like they'd preserve the data on the old drives.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Nope, doesn't sound like it. So at this point you need to find a raid controller that the raid array was originally built on. Either beit by a motherboard or a possible pci(e) raid controller.

Otherwise, you're pretty much S.O.L. :-/

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I would say get a cheap mobo with the same controller and flip your cpu to it just to grab the data. Then resell the mobo and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
If you were on an intel controller before, you should be able to install the Intel Rapid Storage app on your new computer and it should automatically migrate your RAID array--at least, that's exactly what happened with my raid0 array. Previously on an ICH9 chipset, assembled the drives on my new mobo, installed windows, and my RAID0 array was automatically recognized and mounted without issue.

EDIT--you don't need to configure any raid controller setups in/after your bios for your motherboard--the above would be a software raid, and it should be recognized, at least enough to grab your data

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post

I kinda doubt an ICH7 or 8 raid 0 would just show up on a p67 chipset unfortunately. Your best bet is to plug it into a mobo with the same controller you had and copy the data off then create a new array on your new setup.
Oh--were they that different from ICH9? My ICH9 --> P67 worked just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts