Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


One of the reasons why Java should not be taught as a beginning programming language.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Lmao! Java was my first programming language, but being a CS undergrad its obviously not my only one. Funny joke, you take this pic?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, reddit. But I've seen similar things on the whiteboards at my Uni.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Truth.

Java abstracts things too much for the beginners.

I started on C when I was a computer engineering major.

When I switched into Computer Science, all the freshmen had to learn Java. I found it to be super easy, coming from C, and I feel that I understand many nuances of programming that my peers simply don't get.
 

·
Old Timers Unite
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel View Post
Truth.

Java abstracts things too much. For beginners.

I started on C when I was a computer engineering major.

When I switched into Computer Science, all the freshmen had to learn Java. I found it to be super easy, coming from C, and I feel that I understand many nuances of programming that my peers simply don't get.

This! I went from comp engineering to CS and from C to java as well. cout>System.out.print
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocklobsta1109 View Post
This! I went from comp engineering to CS and from C to java as well. cout>System.out.print

Actually I believe that is

Code:

Code:
cout<<System.out.print;
You were probably thinking of cin.
 

·
Old Timers Unite
Joined
·
1,239 Posts
i was saying the cout "is greater than" system.out.print as in easier to use less to type blah blah blah but yeah thats the jist of it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

Actually I believe that is

Code:
Code:
cout<<System.out.print;
You were probably thinking of cin.


actually its
Code:
Code:
cout << "message here";
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
actually its

Code:

Code:
cout << "message here";

I think he was referring to cout is preferred over System.out.println() not that you should have two << instead of one <

but..meh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Java is a decent learning language because you can get logic and basics down without worrying about platform details and other things that are abstracted away, but I argue that it's an absolute requirement that students take a C/C++ course later on so they can learn about memory management, null-termination, pointers, and all that good stuff. Even if you never use it, it makes you a better programmer when you understand what's going on behind the scenes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mott555
View Post

Java is a decent learning language because you can get logic and basics down without worrying about platform details and other things that are abstracted away, but I argue that it's an absolute requirement that students take a C/C++ course later on so they can learn about memory management, null-termination, pointers, and all that good stuff. Even if you never use it, it makes you a better programmer when you understand what's going on behind the scenes.


Of course, a good computer scientists has to be able to abstract to a very high level while understanding low level nuances.

I think programmers should be familiar with at least one OO language (java, c#, c++). One Procedural language(C, fortran, ectra). One assembly language, and one scripting language.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfiaff View Post
I learned Java in my AP Computer Science class as a junior in high school. It made me want to hurt people

You should get that looked at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
I had to learn C and C++ and VB and ASP.net before I even learned a bit o java and I like it better then any other language, except for VB. VB I actually learned in my 7th grade Computer Class.

Except for PHP and SQL. Man SQL is so easy
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
The first joke writer was right... You gotta eat the delimiter after ever newline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Welcome back, OCN!!!!!!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top