Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two speaker system - best sound quality. What would be your recommendations would be?

I have 5.1 Logitech z-5500 would be close to them, but only with two speakers?
budget $100
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Its easy to know how. The drivers are built out of better materials and the cabinets are MDF and not plastic. They also have a tweeter.

As for connecting them to the computer looks like you'll need an

RCA to 3.5mm cable RCA to 3.5mm cable
which would plug into the sound card.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calavera View Post
could I connect these to my klipsch sub?
Easiest way to do that is plug the sub into the sub/center channel of the sound card/onboard audio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
It does appear you need trust to believe something is better than Logitech...just like most folks are rather incredulous when people suggest anything other than Bose.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,931 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

Easiest way to do that is plug the sub into the sub/center channel of the sound card/onboard audio.

Actually, now that I can see the back of the speakers....it MIGHT also work fine if you went from the speaker output (for the right speaker) to the sub's high level inputs. You'll only get the right channel this way, but the volume control on the speakers would control the speakers and sub.

If you did go from the sound card to the sub, you'll have to use Windows to control the volume. Just keep that in mind.

Or if you don't care about warranty, it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to tear that left speaker apart, and mod an actual RCA output that would work as well. You'd just wire a Hi Level Converter inside the enclosure, and drill holes in the rear for the RCA outputs....glue them in
. Or instead of using a HLC, you could also just wire in a set of speaker outputs on the rear of the Left....using the Left AND the right side...and run those to the hi level input of said subwoofer.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
The AV30, definitely.

Bass isn't as 'big' as a Z5500 but if you even care about fidelity, these are miles ahead of the Z5500.

All the Z5500 has to its name is loudness.
It doesn't even try to be detailed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,183 Posts
I know but you know how people are on here and their bass.....
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by chinesekiwi
View Post

I know but you know how people are on here and their bass.....

Use a 3.5mm splitter like I do.


One side is going to a pair of Altec Lansing MX5020, the other channel goes to a Pioneer HTIB with its subwoofer only.

Yeah it's not the greatest subwoofer in the world, but it fits behind my monitor and it gives me bass.
 

·
AMD Overclocker
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Bass isn't as 'big' as a Z5500 but if you even care about fidelity, these are miles ahead of the Z5500.

I wouldn't consider the bass big, I would consider it very boomy.

For your budget, I would honestly just save a little more and get something nicer. The av30's aren't going to be miles ahead of the z5500.
 

·
Man with Fans
Joined
·
7,746 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

I wouldn't consider the bass big, I would consider it very boomy.

For your budget, I would honestly just save a little more and get something nicer. The av30's aren't going to be miles ahead of the z5500.


There isn't really any boom to it even.
It's just loud and plain. Well, that's how I describe it.

Boomy is what describes Creative Inspire/I-Trigue speakers. Full of midbass and no 'real substance' down there.

Yes, the AV30's are miles ahead of the Z5500 in terms of clarity, articulation, definition - just about everything except bass and loudness.

Which is why I'm suggesting to pair it up with a PSW10, which is a good budget sub.
 

·
AMD Overclocker
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

There isn't really any boom to it even.
It's just loud and plain. Well, that's how I describe it.

Boomy is what describes Creative Inspire/I-Trigue speakers. Full of midbass and no 'real substance' down there.

Yes, the AV30's are miles ahead of the Z5500 in terms of clarity, articulation, definition - just about everything except bass and loudness.

Which is why I'm suggesting to pair it up with a PSW10, which is a good budget sub.

The psw10 is great, I in fact own one. It is miles ahead of any sub I have ever owned.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
I have the AV30's everything you need is included to hook them up to your computer.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top