Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dell u2410 that I use for gaming but I have been highly interested in buying the u2711 to replace it. I have never played @1440 so I dont know what to expect. As far as PQ, would the jump in resolution make a big difference?

I just got rid of my 1.5gig gtx 580 because I thought I was ready to upgrade but im not so sure now. I don't want to pay $900 for a monitor and close to a $1000 for Gpu/s if it really isnt that noticeable. Can someone that has upgraded from 1200p to 1440p chime in and tell me their experience?
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJOE View Post

I have a dell u2410 that I use for gaming but I have been highly interested in buying the u2711 to replace it. I have never played @1440 so I dont know what to expect. As far as PQ, would the jump in resolution make a big difference?
I just got rid of my 1.5gig gtx 580 because I thought I was ready to upgrade but im not so sure now. I don't want to pay $900 for a monitor and close to a $1000 for Gpu/s if it really isnt that noticeable. Can someone that has upgraded from 1200p to 1440p chime in and tell me their experience?
Thanks guys
I am running Dell U3011 (2560x1600) as main monitor and Dell 2407 (1920x1200) as secondary monitor. Before using the U3011, the 2407 was the main monitor.

The jump in picture quality from 1200 to 1600 is not 'a big difference', subjectively speaking. Rather, the gain in size (not resolution) of that extra diagonal 6'' is very noticeable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So basically games will look as good as it does on my 24" but at a bigger size. I was under the impression that the jump in resolution would be similar to upgrading a 720p set with 1080p set, which in my eyes is a big step forward.

How about getting a 1440 apple display vs The u2711. What do you guys think about the anti glare vs the glossy screen?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Why not just buy 2 more U2410's and go Surround?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@wizrdsleevz,
Will two 6970's be enough for that resolution? I play bf3 and would like to have 50+ frames @ that res

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@*********
I'm really not a big fan of multi monitors. Maybe if the bezels were slimmer it would interest me more

·
PC Evangelist
47,501 Posts
I think 27 has higher PPI. If you are going to game @ 1440p then dont get it. Since the 24 is 16:10 and 27 is 16:9 the difference in size its not that much. The jump is bigger going from u27 to u30 then your monitor to u27. I love mine but you will always need 2 gpus to play latest games with high settings @ 1440p. Basically if you play something BF3 level you will need HD 6950 CF+ performance 1.5GB+ vRAM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why wouldn't a single gtx580 or 6950 unlock or 6970 or7970 do the job. I've seen guys on youtube playing bf3 with a single gtx-570 on a u2711 on high settings.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Quote:
These were specifically made to rival Dell's Ultrasharp line. However they fail in one big way.... Nothing beats Dell's warranty in the monitor business when it comes to their "premium panel" guarantee. No questions asked advance ship RMA with 1 day shipping for ANY issues including a no questions asked advance ship RMA for ANY dead pixels for the life of your monitors warranty.

Now on to the monitor.. I saw that Samsung monitor in person, awesome display no question, how ever it's no better than the Ultra Sharp's. Also one thing to add, the same anti glare hardcoat that Dell uses is also used on that Samsung monitor. Also Dell's top Ultra Sharps also include a lot more connections.... HDMI/Component/Composite/Displayport/VGA, then a card reader and USB hub. The Samsung doesn't have the HDMI/Component/Composite ports. The Samsung DOES have a USB 3.0 hub - if your motherboard also has a USB 3.0 port. Also when I played with the 27" Samsung I noticed it had no Picture in Picture. - Something that it SHOULD have - Instead it uses Picture By Picture and is software driven and it's horrid.

Dell still wins the fight either way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@cyrilmak
I would go with the dell because I am very pleased with the u2410 that I already own. The anti glare, although very aggressive doesn't bother me at all. You really can't get all those features in another monitor at this price point. The stand alone is amazing!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@youngscarface
Im looking to do ultra settings at 1440p. The gtx580 won't cut it because of the lower VRAM. I believe that a single 7970 will be the best choice at the moment.

·
PC Evangelist
47,501 Posts
I dont think you can do ultra with a single GTX580 or HD 7970 @ 1440p. As with no AA 1.5GB is enough so you dont need HD 7970 for the extra RAM you just need more GPU power. If you want AA then you need the HD 7970 and 2 of them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry about sort of hijacking the thread here but,
I currently have a Dell 1907FP and a 2405FPW at home and was wondering, how harsh is the AG coat on these 2 monitors in comparison to the ones I own?

I've also been trying to decide between the u2711 and u2411. They both seem like amazing monitors according to reviews and peoples opinions here, but the AG coat seems to be the only thing people are complaining about.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Upgraded from a Samsung T240HD to a U2711. At first I was running just a single 580 and things were fine, I was still getting 70+ fps in BFBC2 with full AA and AF with around 1300 MBs used. Then I bought a 2nd for SLI and can do Ultra settings on BF3, without AA/1x AF because the visual difference is negligible compared to frame loss. Have to say I'm glad I didn't get the 30", I would be in trouble with my 1.5GBs of vram.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts