Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mates,

I was thinking about my next build (which will be in a year or so if I don't blow anything up), and as I'm tired of HUGE computers and want something rather small, I'm forced to get a mATX board.

I've decided that I will be Crossfiring a couple of cards instead of getting a single GPU, because AMD's scaling has really improved in the latest gen, and that trend is prone to continue in HD7-8 series. Unless price tells me otherwise ofc. But I still want CFX support.

So there goes my question: Is there any decent AM3+ board that can run Crossfire and withstand heavy overclocking without blowing up?

Don't worry about heat since the whole system ('cept the board) is gonna be watercooled.

Been searching and found the MSi 890GXM-G65, but it's a crappy 4phase design, and I don't like MSi boards that much.

Any board on sight that can rock my rig?

I take for granted the CPU will be a Komodo, that's why I ask here. It is subject to change if the Intel alternative provides a significant performance gap while keeping cost reasonable, though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have never heard of a mATX board that even had 2 PCI-E slots. also finding a decent 8+ phase 140w VRM in anything but full ATX or SR-2 (extended ATX) is going to be difficult. Plus how do you plan on fitting a full water cooler in a mATX case? It seems like trying to build a powerful OCed small rig would be more trouble than its worth

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does Intel get the nice things!!

They have 8phase, 3x PCIe X16 mATX boards!!

How do I plan fitting it into a mATX case? There's no mATX case!! I'll build a custom one

The idea is fitting a 360 rad inside. Perfect because I can use the space besides the motherboard and the case wall to place my optical and hard drives.

Still in the drawing/CADing stage though.

Anyway, thanks

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by superj1977
View Post

Are you even kidding?

Nice W/C mATX build HERE

Not an AMD board though

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah :/

Here's hope BD delivers and manufacturers start pushing those mATX boards... I really want a tiny monster

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Do not get that MSI motherboard. Lots of reports of it spewing fire when it is over volted.
I have one and got a stable overclock of my PII X4 up to 3.9Ghz at stock voltage, but I don't dare give it any more volts to go higher.

There really aren't any great overclocking mATX AMD boards I'm sad to say. Biostar had one that is very hard to find. I believe it was a TA890GXE or something like that, but it only has 1 x16 slot.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm aware of the self-igniting MSi boards

And not overclocking a processor should be considered a crime!!! ù_ú

It sucks though that there aren't many boards around... As if AMD users didn't exist u_u

Hope is the only thing you can't lose

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I believe that MSI is the only one and for several board-related reasons I find it to not be the best idea.

I'm not really supportive of mATX Crossfire builds in general. To have GPUs so close together means that little to no airflow gets to them. Not very ideal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts