Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Nice to know that Rogers Wireless listens to its users, having turned its free data tethering promotion as part of its permanent fixture. In layman's terms, anyone with a Canadian 1GB or larger data plan has the option of using an iPhone or other tethering-capable smartphone as a 3G Internet connection when hooked up to a computer without having to fork out additional dough.

Source.
All I can say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad they kept it so I can make full use out of my 6GB a month bandwidth!

·
Banned
13,823 Posts
i use my phone to teather on my lappy and i can say it is real nice to have. although the US dosent have a plan for it jail broken phones can do it. but i envy you guys that can do it legally.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wasbo
View Post

Score! I have a 3G with a 1gb data plan

They always had tethering with more than 1GB Data Plan, but they were debating on whether to either cancel or charge extra for the service. This is just confirmation that they will keep it at no extra charge...

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It's really interesting, I was actually looking into that today... was about to plug my blackberry into my laptop (since I barely use 20mb/month...)
Unfortunately I only have 500mb, so it'll be chargeable for me? That's one bad thing... although at least it will not overload their servers!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I don't really understand this, can someone explain it to me?

From what I understand, you can attach your phone to your pc and then use that as wireless, without extra charges?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
This used to be a feature on my Business Sprint phone but they nixed the feature a while back. I had to have them re-add it to my plan in the middle of a business trip because no one told us they were changing the plan...

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

From what I understand, you can attach your phone to your pc and then use that as wireless, without extra charges?

Humm pretty much.

If you have a smartphone, a data plan that is over 1GB and a laptop, you can connect your phone to laptop and with an app (if you have a BlackBerry it'd be the Desktop Manager, if you have another one, there's apps for each one of them) just make a dial-up connection and your set to go! 3G speeds on the go and you can finally use all this useless data on your phones!

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

You connect the phone to the computer when there is no WiFi around, and then you can use the phone as basically a 3G modem, and then you can use the data from the phone to surf the net on your laptop/computer...

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shnur View Post
Humm pretty much.

If you have a smartphone, a data plan that is over 1GB and a laptop, you can connect your phone to laptop and with an app (if you have a BlackBerry it'd be the Desktop Manager, if you have another one, there's apps for each one of them) just make a dial-up connection and your set to go! 3G speeds on the go and you can finally use all this useless data on your phones!

how is it useless? i use far more then my 500MB plan every month just doing normal things on my android. btw, i still prefer telus to rogers. much better customer support, larger 3G network, better prices. i don't know if i get free tethering though.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie
View Post

how is it useless? i use far more then my 500MB plan every month just doing normal things on my android. btw, i still prefer telus to rogers. much better customer support, larger 3G network, better prices. i don't know if i get free tethering though.

Well, I'm on an EDGE device, so internet is like dial up... after some benchies I've realized that it's about 120Kbits so yeah, 56k times 2, woohoo!

And thanks for preferring TELUS, I work there as tech support and I go the extra step trying hard to make people happy

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
Every time legit US iPhone owners read about this crap, they are yet again reminded about the epic fail that is ATT. Still no tethering in the US without jailbreaking the iPhone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts