Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ubuntu forums appear to have shat themselves - noone else is showing up online and my thread posted 3 hours ago isn't appearing in the index. Anyway, this is what I was attempting to ask about.

I removed the mail icon in 10.04 as I had no use for such foolery, I use web mail. For some reason the audio icon also disappeared, and there is no audio or sound widget in the list of stuff to add to the panel.

How can I get back my volume adjuster thingy?

In addition to that, is there any easy way to install the java runtime on 64bit ubuntu? I googled it but the tutorials involve a whole truckload of command line foolery. I downloaded noobuntu because I don't want to deal with that. Is there any special package hidden somewhere? I downloaded the java runtime, but it didn't work the way it does on Windows - I still don't have the java plugin for firefox.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
To re-add the volume icon thing, just right-click on the empty area of the GNOME panel you want the icon to appear on, and click "Add to panel...".

From there, go to the very bottom and add "volume control". You can move it around to where ever you want.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have 'volume control' (or anything else remotely similar to 'audio' or 'sound') in my list of gnome panel gadgets/widgets. That's the issue.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ubuntu and the community have basically gone to hell. The distro is still good, but if you try setting up 4 drives with RAID1 (boot partition) and RAID10 (for the rest) you get dropped into a initramfs (easy box) shell on boot because it can't find the UUID for anything other then boot.

The community? I've had this issue before and both times I've tried asking for help on the forums and got no response.

Maybe I just had a bad experience though.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrex
View Post

Ubuntu and the community have basically gone to hell. The distro is still good, but if you try setting up 4 drives with RAID1 (boot partition) and RAID10 (for the rest) you get dropped into a initramfs (easy box) shell on boot because it can't find the UUID for anything other then boot.

The community? I've had this issue before and both times I've tried asking for help on the forums and got no response.

Maybe I just had a bad experience though.

I don't know about the community but the forum itself seems to be malfunctioning. No new threads have shown up for hours, including mine, and when I go there I appear to be the only person online including guests. It's strange, usually when a forum decides to malfunction it fails completely.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowman View Post
I don't have 'volume control' (or anything else remotely similar to 'audio' or 'sound') in my list of gnome panel gadgets/widgets. That's the issue.

Gnome has a weird multi applet thing when it comes to the audio. I'm in the process of reinstalling Linux right now, so I can't personally check, but it's one of the widgets in the list. I think mail, sound, and ethernet (maybe) are all part of the same applet.

As for Java, I'd recommend Iced Tea. It should be in Synaptic.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conley
View Post

Gnome has a weird multi applet thing when it comes to the audio. I'm in the process of reinstalling Linux right now, so I can't personally check, but it's one of the widgets in the list. I think mail, sound, and ethernet (maybe) are all part of the same applet.

As for Java, I'd recommend Iced Tea. It should be in Synaptic.

Iced Tea resulted in my bank's java page 404ing instead of complaining about a lack of Java.

edit - great, tried downloading 'ubuntu restricted extras' which didn't fix the issue. it did grant me the pleasure of ugly-ass Microsoft fonts in firefox though.

So that's one more thing Linux can't do, online banking. Switching banks wouldn't help either, this java applet login thing is a national cooperation between every bank so no joy.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowman
View Post

Iced Tea resulted in my bank's java page 404ing instead of complaining about a lack of Java.

edit - great, tried downloading 'ubuntu restricted extras' which didn't fix the issue. it did grant me the pleasure of ugly-ass Microsoft fonts in firefox though.

So that's one more thing Linux can't do, online banking. Switching banks wouldn't help either, this java applet login thing is a national cooperation between every bank so no joy.

Are you guys saying you can't install real Sun Java for Linux?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

For some reason Java started working randomly at some point. I'm not sure if it was a reboot or what that did it, but legit Java started working.

In any case I replaced my Ubuntu install with Windows 7 already. TF2 abstinences.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Hello,
For some reason Java started working randomly at some point. I'm not sure if it was a reboot or what that did it, but legit Java started working.

In any case I replaced my Ubuntu install with Windows 7 already. TF2 abstinences.
That figures. I really did wonder why you installed Linux in the first place. Windows is prolly better for you.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
i think after 9.04 things started going down hill.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
That figures. I really did wonder why you installed Linux in the first place. Windows is prolly better for you.
I guess I can't expect anything better than elitism from a Slackware user.

I did just fine with 8.04 back when that came out.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

I guess I can't expect anything better than elitism from a Slackware user.
If I were a Slackware elitist, why would I defend Ubuntu? or offer windows help? If you didn't know that last part, it just confirms that you have judged me before you really know me or my deeds and attitudes.

It seems to me that even on the most rabid of Linux sites it is clearly stated that

Linux is not Windows
It will take time and effort to get familiar with Linux, even more than it has over the years for Windows, because it lets you in on the nuts and bolts, not just the car keys and pedals. .
Most importantly just as not every driver wishes to also be a mechanic, Linux is not for everyone. After all, You can pay someone to be a mechanic and hope they're skilled as well as trustworthy, and have your interests at heart.

I figured if your response to an obstacle was to uninstall Linux altogether and run back to the familiar exclusively, rather than dual boot and continue in your free time, that you had made the decision that Linux is not for you, Your desire to learn was/is insufficient to compel you to work out your problems with Linux and become it's master and own your PC, rather than continue as a "back seat driver" or a slave to Microsoft.

Quote:

did just fine with 8.04 back when that came out.
That's cool. Where is it? It's apparently not in your sig rig, I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest. Linux is free from monetary cost and only requires some time and effort. Whether your time is just too tight or your desire is just too little, it appears, and I repeat, "You're prolly better off with Windows" How is that elitist?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
8.04 was on my old laptop which wouldn't play games anyway.

My current laptop is needed for school and AutoCAD so unfortunately I can't install a hobby operating system on that.

I guess I'll have apologize for seeking help with getting Java to work, it's kinda imperative that I have it for accessing my online bank so no, I didn't want to spend a week investigating why it didn't work.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowman
View Post

8.04 was on my old laptop which wouldn't play games anyway.

My current laptop is needed for school and AutoCAD so unfortunately I can't install a hobby operating system on that.

I guess I'll have apologize for seeking help with getting Java to work, it's kinda imperative that I have it for accessing my online bank so no, I didn't want to spend a week investigating why it didn't work.

Now that you persist in being what comes across as so defensive and sarcastic in a very Linux negative thread bordering on FUD, let's go over some revealing points, then.

Apparently you don't have enough hard drive space to dual boot, or sufficient knowledge and skill to set it up (even though there is help here and many other places)
or maybe just not the courtesy to answer the question.

Everyone understands that people need a system upon which to get their work done, and even 3D modeling doesn't trump banking. There was no need to apologize for asking for help, if that's what you really meant. It's hard for humans to get the undercurrent to raw text devoid of body language and tone of voice. But nobody promoted the idea you stick with Linux to the exclusion of Windows at this point, or ever.

However once you've established that you're serious and skilled (banking and AutoCAD) and well-rounded (games) but figure it'd take you an entire week to fix Java in Linux, and instead of just booting back to windows until you fixed Java at your leisure, you uninstalled "a hobby operating system"..... (IBM and NASA might find that amusing)

Well I'm sorry to have to sat so but it reminds me of a kid who can't get a toy to work the way he wants who then throws it on the ground saying "I didn't like that st00pid toy anyway". Do you really wanna be "that guy" or am I just being "elitist"?

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
i must be throwing my computer away, by solely using a "hobby" OS on it....

i don't see enorbet as a slackware elitist, that is sorta a ironic term, as i have come across windows elitist, mac osx elitist, even ubuntu elitist, but have yet to come across any from the slackware community, which is one of the + to slackware

it is all fine and dandy not to use linux cause of autocad.

when you refer to java, are you refering to javascript? if so, then most modern day browsers should have a built in engine for it, as for java in web browsers, if you are using ubuntu, it should be just a matter of going to synaptic and installing the java jdk/jre from the repo to get it to work, i am not sure why it would take you a "week" to get it to work.

installing it from the download from java's site, does require a few extra steps to get it to work. the reason that is, if you didn't want to use the one in the repo, you can customize its install location and path, which is the advantage of a linux distro, the freedom of customization.

I use linux on all my computers, windows in the second boot, and i am rarely in it, and as the time goes by, i find myself less and less in "need" of windows, as linux is currently suits all my needs, so to put down an entire operating system and its community as "hobbyist" is sorta rude, as considering most windows users stick with windows cause of this tag line "windows plays games" so who are the hobbyist?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts