Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im an official Ubuntu noob, and just installed it on my computer and so far its awesome! I love the thousands of free applications you can download. You guys have any favorites?

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
I have a crappy (It cost 30€ used. 1.2ghz single core 512mb of ram) laptop that I sometimes use. I take it to places...

I don't think it would benefit you for installing it on your desktop, but I like the game termulous. It's a multiplayer FPS (human vs alien. Aliens don't have weapons, they bite >: ) )

I also like the game nexuiz...

Both are fun applications to waste time in while you can't access the desktop at home...

Both are available for windows too though....

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
I have a crappy (It cost 30€ used. 1.2ghz single core 512mb of ram) laptop that I sometimes use. I take it to places...

I don't think it would benefit you for installing it on your desktop, but I like the game termulous. It's a multiplayer FPS (human vs alien. Aliens don't have weapons, they bite >: ) )

I also like the game nexuiz...

Both are fun applications to waste time in while you can't access the desktop at home...

Both are available for windows too though....
its nice for torrents and dvds

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
What sort of stuff are you into?

First thing you should do is read the link in my signature. Set up your firewall and some general beginners tips. Update everything.

Install Ubuntu Tweak but I doubt it's out for 10.10 yet. Poor choice installing the RC. Should have gone with 10.04. First of all, the odds are that it's much more stable than 10.10. It's also a Long Term Support (lts) so it will be good for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
You might want to stray from 10.10 and use 10.04 or something, I've seen some funky issues with 10.10 already that a noob might not want to encounter.

[edit]

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post

First thing you should do is read the link in my signature. Set up your firewall and some general beginners tips. Update everything.

Install Ubuntu Tweak but I doubt it's out for 10.10 yet. Poor choice installing the RC. Should have gone with 10.04. First of all, the odds are that it's much more stable than 10.10. It's also a Long Term Support (lts) so it will be good for quite a while.
NINJA!!! I call cheating!

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy
View Post

You might want to stray from 10.10 and use 10.04 or something, I've seen some funky issues with 10.10 already that a noob might not want to encounter.

[edit]

NINJA!!! I call cheating!

WHO YOU CALLING A NOOB!!! haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

well i am basically just using Ubuntu to screw around with it. Main reasons for using it though are torrents and dvd burning. i hear that brasero is really good but i need to download a plug in for it but dont know which one to dl. and i would like to screw around with the theme in ubuntu too.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Well, like you said, there are thousands of free programs. There are also quite a few third party repositories with more programs in them.

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Well, like you said, there are thousands of free programs. There are also quite a few third party repositories with more programs in them.
o really i did not know about this, can you link me to some sites?

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Again, it depends on what you want to do. Here is the easiest way to install the popular ones... This should work on maverick but it may be different.

Go to System>Admin>Software Sources

Put in your password.

Click the "Other Software" tab.

Click "Add"

Paste this line without quotes "ppa:tualatrix/ppa"

Click "Add Source" and then close. Let it reload your repositories.

Open a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak" (without quotes)

Password and let it install.

Go to Applications>System Tools>Ubuntu Tweak.

Go to "Source Center" and there are a ton of repositories. It might flash something about untrusted PPAs but it's fine.

Here's the thing with Ubuntu. They're slow to update software. In their own repositories, they wait until everything is ironed out and they make sure things are 100% stable. That's all good but you want the latest stuff. You also have access to software unavailable in Ubuntu.

Enable the sources you want, click the software. Install... done.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thaimoua View Post
if you download torrents why are you worried about free software? lol
torrenting != downloading non-free software.

Anyway, I use tons of apps on ubuntu, from skype to steam to chromium to VLC. Really, almost every app I use n windows has an ubuntu equivalent.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Yes I agree with you... ! I like Gutsy 7.10 better out of all ubuntus... but I made a video of my 9.10 karmic Kaola Backup !...

if ANY PROBLEMS, I backup the system and it becomes what you see in this video

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mannyfc
View Post

try warsow too, shoulda gone with 10.04 tho .... after runnig .04 for months at a time (no shutdown) i upgraded to the rc and broke nearly every package lol..... dbaned and went back to 10.04..... new rc uses ext4 tho!!! lol

English plz

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thiagocosta85 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVkF0sE28Y

Yes I agree with you... ! I like Gutsy 7.10 better out of all ubuntus... but I made a video of my 9.10 karmic Kaola Backup !...

if ANY PROBLEMS, I backup the system and it becomes what you see in this video

thats sick how do i get that on my ubuntu?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts