Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Pretty sure it doesn't need a lengthy article excerpt for people to know what this is. But for those that must read something...

Quote:

Some time ago a group of hyper-intelligent pan dimensional beings decided to finally answer the great question of Life, The Universe and Everything. To this end, a small band of these Debians built an incredibly powerful distribution, Ubuntu. After this great computer programme had run (a very quick 3 million minutes…or 6 years) the answer was announced. The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is…42, and in its' purest form 101010. Which suggests that what you really need to know is 'What was the Question?'. The great distribution kindly pointed out that what the problem really was that no-one knew the question. Accordingly, the distribution designed a set of successors, marked by a circle of friends…to ultimately bring Unity to all things living…Ubuntu 10.10, to find the question to the ultimate answer.

http://release-blog.ubuntu.com/

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My friend at school wants me to pirate a copy for him.

So I'm downloading it now.

Through BitTorrent.

Because that's what people pirating free software use.

I wonder how many mods are going to take this seriously...

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Underwhelming in new features, but from what I've been reading, well polished. That's pretty much an about face for Canonical's development strategy which is normally to do a bang-up job of delivering half-baked ideas.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Will be sticking to 10.04, but downloading and seeding for the greater good!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I just upgraded one of my VMs, the other one is just starting.

So far, it seems a bit snappier, and VMware player is not really glitching out like it used to.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
This has to be one of the most underwhelming Ubuntu releases to date. The only interesting thing about it is the 10/10/10 launch date.
this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
Underwhelming in new features, but from what I've been reading, well polished. That's pretty much an about face for Canonical's development strategy which is normally to do a bang-up job of delivering half-baked ideas.
haven't tried 10.10 yet, but i'd have expected 10.04 to be polished but alas. I guess if you're on 10.04, you may as well stay there. anyways, do we have a projected feature list for 11.04?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Torch View Post
I had tried the Beta and the RC of 10.10 on LiveCD and liked it, we will see how the installed version acts.
Of course I'll have to get rid of all that "Social Networking" Crap.....
I actually dual-booted my dad's lappy with 10.04. And then I didn't, because of the social networking tools. Just... feels like a waste of space.

·
Premium Member
8,617 Posts
Downloading. Will upgrade next week. Need lots of free time to remove a lot of the junk this release comes with.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
10 MB/s connection is pretty awesome to have

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Maybe it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy, but the boot seems considerably faster and it seems more responsive overall. There are few changes that I can see, however. Oh well, I kind of like Meerkats anyway.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.