Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Thinkpad X31 (1.4ghz Pentium M, 512mb DDR, 40GB HDD) that is currently running XP Pro. However, I am looking to experiment with Linux, and I thought that Ubuntu would be a great place to start. This computer isn't really used much (just sits around for downloads currently and runs WCG via BOINC), so it just has to be able to do the same with Ubuntu. Does anybody foresee any potential issues with running Ubuntu on a computer this slow? BTW, I don't have spare HDDs, so I couldn't install Ubuntu on a spare to see if I like it, I would have to reformat XP (I'm not opposed to this, but I would prefer to not have to install it first). Also, the X31, being an ultra-portable, has no optical drive, so how would I go about installing Ubuntu?

+rep for all help

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Will it boot from USB? You can make a USB start up disk.

My best suggestion would be to try a live disk. Not everything will work on it and it might be a little slower than an actual install, but it will give you the overall feel.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it should boot from USB. Any ideas about how to make an Ubuntu USB stick? I'm a complete Linux idiot

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Honestly, the best way I know how to do it is through linux

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Check out that link. It should walk you right through it.

Also, don't worry about not knowing linux just yet. If you're truly interested in this sort of thing, you can learn at your own pace. When you encounter a problem, head here, head to the ubuntu forums, google it. Whatever it takes. You will find an answer out there.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got Ubuntu set up on the 4GB flash drive (thanks for the guide) and I'm currently booting up Ubuntu on the X31 (it's very slow booting from the flash drive), I'll report back in a bit with more on the progress/my impression of Ubuntu.

EDIT: That didn't work so well, it is giving the following errors:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubuntu
Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
To me, it looks like it's trying to read the USB drive as a floppy. I'd head into your bios and see if you can disable the floppy drive. Set USB to boot as your primary drive.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

To me, it looks like it's trying to read the USB drive as a floppy. I'd head into your bios and see if you can disable the floppy drive. Set USB to boot as your primary drive.

Thanks, I just went and disabled the floppy and now it booted up fine. It was painfully slow (~12 minutes from power-on to desktop), but it appears to be working. Even launching FF takes a while (I assume this is because of the USB stick), so I'm going to go ahead and install it (I have nothing to loose, the computer isn't really used for anything). Thanks!

BTW, expect this thread or another thread to shortly become filled with a lot of stupid Linux questions, but I want to learn

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hope your install goes well. I am sure that everyone will be happy to answer your questions. There is some very smart people in here. I really prefer this to the Ubuntu forums. That said they are another good source of information as well.

When ever I finish a new Ubuntu install the first thing I do is pull up a terminal and type this:

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
This updates your package lists.

then

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
This will update all your packages

last but not least

Code:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y ubuntu-restricted-extras
This will install all the restricted codecs and ect... You will need this to use flash, play mp3s and most other media.

• Rep+
Reactions: mmx+

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Funny, the first thing I do is enable the firewall and deny all ports.

Code:

Code:
sudo ufw enable
then:

Code:

Code:
sudo ufw default deny
I block all ports until I need one opened.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I rely on my router for this.

Is this a mistake?

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I've had this debate with a few people. Some believe in having an on computer firewall, others believe it's a waste of time.

I'm part of the former group. It's not hard to set up and if CLI is too frustrating, you can always use gUFW or firestarter.

If I need to open port 80, all I have to do is:

Code:
Code:
sudo ufw allow 80
If I want to open just tcp:

Code:
Code:
sudo ufw allow 80/tcp
If I want to open just port 80 tcp from one location:

Code:
Code:
sudo ufw allow 80/tcp from 127.0.0.1
It's that simple.

On my laptop and netbook, I absolutely have it enabled. If I link up to a public hotspot at McDonalds or Starbucks, you never know who is on that network or if they have a firewall set up on the router.

At least it's not like a windows third party firewall where you have to allow it to load up. I do it. I think it's a good idea. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sound like this is a very good idea on my wife's netbook. I don't think I will implement this on my desktop rigs.

To the op how is the install going?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
The first thing I do after installing Ubuntu is take a screenshot of whatever it was that led me to install Ubuntu in the first place. Then I click the icon to update the system!

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Oh come on, no Ubuntu hate...
They've allowed a lot of people to take the step towards linux instead of a giant leap.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Oh, but I don't hate Ubuntu. I merely find it annoying.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

Oh, but I don't hate Ubuntu. I merely find it annoying.

Why?
I've only used Windows (and a Mac...eww) so far, so I my Linux to be simple. I haven't yet figured out how to get BOINC to work, but everything is up and running.

I'm setting it up to update right now. I can't say I find anything offensive with the exception of the standard theme; brown doesn't do it for me

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Let's see, I just do....

Code:

Code:
yum install boinc-client boinc-manager
As for ubuntu, yes, the brown is quite obnoxious. I find APT annoying. And I find inexcusable the fact that its installer ate all my data.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Let's see, I just do....

Code:

Code:
yum install boinc-client boinc-manager
As for ubuntu, yes, the brown is quite obnoxious. I find APT annoying. And I find inexcusable the fact that its installer ate all my data.
Ouch. Do you think I should switch to Fedora or whatever before I get Ubuntu all set up they way I like it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts