Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get Ubuntu to work on my laptop. I already have windows 7 installed on it. I created the boot disk. When i insert the disc and chose the option to "boot from the disc with no change to your computer" the fans go crazy, then the screen goes blank. It looks like it tries to bring up the white graphic, but it never quite gets there. Then the screen just goes blank and does nothing. I am thinking it is a graphics issue, but I tried booting it into "safe graphics mode" but it does the same thing. The disc is ok because it works fine on my desktop, it just wont work on my laptop.

If anyone knows what is wrong please let me know. I can use all the help possible. I am a linux noob.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
is it 64bit and your laptop 32bit? Otherwise you can try the regular installer and if that does not work get the alternate install disc. It is a text based install like the one that was used for windows xp. Good luck! I use ubuntu on my laptop and I love it.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Sounds to me like maybe your video chipset isn't recognized right off the bat. Do you know what you have?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, no, both of the computers are 64bit. They are both running 64bit Windows 7.

Second, I just have the integrated Intel video chip.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Right. Do you know what that integrated chip is? The fans going crazy is normal for your first boot since it doesn't have the proper drivers installed just yet. It sounds to me like it can't find the right driver for you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

And what release are you using? 9.10? (the latest) 10.04 is the new Beta...

Yes 9.10

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cant seem to get it into the grub. I press esc and it asks me if i want to go to text only mode. If i go there all it says is boot:

Sorry I am a total noob with linux.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,422 Posts
Hello
Welcome to Linux. Intel has listed for download, drivers for Linux, on their website. However it might be good to boot in text mode and watch the messages. IIRC safe mode uses VESA so it should at least get started in normal mode. One good test might be to try a Live CD like Puppy Linux as it has proved to work with lots of odd hardware. Then you could see what driver it uses.

This may all be fixed in the new Ubuntu release though, so maybe try that first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts