Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is...is that you?
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on my laptop and it runs fine. However, after I had installed the nvidia drivers, the ubuntu boot screen resolution changed (it's now big and ugly). I know that this is due to proprietary drivers but is there any solution to fix this problem (put it to native resolution which is, in my case, 1280x800)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
They should auto-set back to something decent? It does for me, but either way right click/nvcp should give you the ability to change resolutions just like windows. If you need to run the program it's nvidia-settings

·
Is...is that you?
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, not the desktop; the ubuntu boot screen where it's written ubuntu with 5 dots under.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Oh lol, get BURG it has screen resolution choices for like F3 or something? Yeah go install BURG it's way nicer to look at.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
isn't that plymouth that controls the screen resolution for the boot? i don't think it is compatible with the prop drivers.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour
View Post

isn't that plymouth that controls the screen resolution for the boot? i don't think it is compatible with the prop drivers.

lol see I had no idea what he was talking about cause I hate splash screens and when I figured it out I realized I didn't know crap. I don't mess with boot much less it's broke. lol

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour View Post
Plymouth, unless I'm mistaken, is dependant on kernel mode-setting enabled drivers for determining resolution. On most of the open-source stacks this isn't an issue, but Nvidia proprietary drivers don't seem to feature KMS, so workarounds are required.

Following the instructions in my link, the general idea is that GRUB2 sets a pre-determined frame-buffer that is then passed to Plymouth for the splash screen and any verbose console output along the way.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I installed BURG to make my bootloader look good and it does, at my full resolution of 1680x945, but the splash screen after is ugly at low res. I have the Nvidia drivers installed as well.

·
Is...is that you?
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I found THIS.

It works but my laptop's monitor doesn't support its native resolution (1280x800) in the bootloader (plymouth) so I have to put it at 1024x768.

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
You need KMS. Proprietary drivers don't support KMS. Best you can do is change your res. within the vesa driver (the generic driver that loads before your propriety drivers), but this driver only supports a limited number of resolutions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts