Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This also works for 11.04 Ubuntu Natty Narwhal

I followed this guide however, in order to get HFM to run in Maverick, a few changes need to be made.

I posted a message on hfm.net's project page and Harlam instructed me that

libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil and
libmono-winforms2.0-cil

were not installed.

To fix this, go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

Do a quick search for libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil and libmono-winforms2.0-cil and install the packages.

Then follow this guide

but when you get to:

Quote:
Run in terminal

Code:

Code:
mono ~HFM/HFM.exe
Instead, navigate directly to the directory containing HFM.exe:

Code:

Code:
cd HFM
then, if you just try to

Code:

Code:
mono HFM.exe
, you get an unhandled exception reporting window. instead enter

Code:

Code:
sudo mono HFM.exe
HFM.net should then open and run normally from the terminal.

Next, under Running HFM.NET in the guide,

Instead of

Quote:
Paste the following text in and save:

Code:

Code:
mono /home/username/HFM/HFM.exe
make that

Code:

Code:
sudo mono /home/username/HFM/HFM.exe
and HFM.net should run normally in ubuntu 10.10. If the launcher ever doesn't work, you may have to run 'HFM' from the terminal in order to put in your password for sudo, and the launcher should work after that, or set the launcher as 'application in terminal' and in the command box type 'sudo HFM'

I am having trouble setting up remote shares on my network but I'm working on it.
edit: I have figured out how to automount remote drives in order to access them in HFM.net. If anyone needs this info, let me know and I will post instructions.

Credit goes to: mortimersnerd for the original guide and harlam357 for troubleshooting HFM.

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Bump.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Why does this need to be run as root? That makes me extremely nervous, and I would NOT do it without a very good explanation.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the best explanation i can give you is that something in 10.10 is keeping the libmono packages from running. why would it make you nervous to run it as root? i've been using it for about a week and haven't had any problems. fahmon works in 10.10 also, i just prefer hfm.nets ability to report stats to a web page.

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Fahmon has TPF, and I don't really like PPD/Mhz.

But yeah... more info with HFM.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
Fahmon can also export stats:
http://www.overclock.net/folding-hom...ahmon-hfm.html

Though HFM does have a WU history feature that Fahmon is lacking...
I already had a website setup for HFM reporting, and have found it easier to monitor different machines on the local network with HFM, I couldn't get it to work with fahmon....

Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
Fahmon has TPF, and I don't really like PPD/Mhz.

But yeah... more info with HFM.

More info = better. And ppd/mhz is a pretty good stat to measure folding efficiency (especially when comparing different WU's).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Same here, I have a question right from the get go. Where do you edit your package sources? Do I enter that command within the terminal, or I create a text file and edit from a specific location?

Sorry I started using Ubuntu a couple of days ago, and it's really hard getting all the basic notions up.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGNUTZ;12687140
man i tried following this guide, referring to another guide that refers to yet another guide.... nothing works. i say compile it to one guide as i cannot for the life of me get HFM to work please
biggrin.gif
the easiest way is to open two browsers side by side. sorry, i don't have the time to rewrite all of the original guide. i just followed it (the original hfm guide) to setup hfm on my 11.04 installation, when i ran mono, i got the same exception error, so i just went to system (on the top panel) > administration > synaptic package manager. search for libmono-system-runtime2.0-cil, then mark it for installation, then hit apply. then in a terminal navigate to the folder containing HFM.exe and run sudo mono HFM.exe. and its working as we speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvspace126;13026919
Same here, I have a question right from the get go. Where do you edit your package sources? Do I enter that command within the terminal, or I create a text file and edit from a specific location?

Sorry I started using Ubuntu a couple of days ago, and it's really hard getting all the basic notions up.
above i detailed how to install packages.

sorry for the delay on the reply, didn't realize there were replies until i referenced the guide to install HFM on 11.04.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloverton2;11505176

I am having trouble setting up remote shares on my network but I'm working on it.
edit: I have figured out how to automount remote drives in order to access them in HFM.net. If anyone needs this info, let me know and I will post instructions.
yes, would love to have those instructions as I cannot set up network clients...

·
POWER LURKER
739 Posts
Code:

Code:
[email protected]:~$ cd hfm
[email protected]:~/hfm$ sudo mono HFM.exe
[sudo] password for xxxxx: 
The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
It should have been installed in the `/usr/lib/mono/1.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
When navigating to `/usr/lib/mono/ there is no 1.0 directory. I can not create a folder in that directory or move a folder into the directory without root permission. how can I move a folder and it's contents, from xxxxx/Downloads/1.0 to /usr/lib/mono/ in terminal?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z32 View Post

Code:

Code:
[email protected]:~$ cd hfm
[email protected]:~/hfm$ sudo mono HFM.exe
[sudo] password for xxxxx: 
The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
It should have been installed in the `/usr/lib/mono/1.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
When navigating to `/usr/lib/mono/ there is no 1.0 directory. I can not create a folder in that directory or move a folder into the directory without root permission. how can I move a folder and it's contents, from xxxxx/Downloads/1.0 to /usr/lib/mono/ in terminal?
Looks like mono isn't intalled properly. You did install it from synaptic right? In linux you generally don't download stuff from webpages and paste it into folders to make it work, you let your OS handle that all for you so you don't screw anything up via package managers.

But to really answer your question, moving and copying files and folders via terminal is easy:

Code:

Code:
copy one file:
cp  <destination>
copy a folder:
cp -r  <destination>
For moving and deleting, replace cp with mv and rm respectively.

Don't do any of it as root either, especially if you don't know what you're doing. You don't want to bork your system, which is why you don't have root access by default.

EDIT: OP, you should not need to run HFM with sudo. You're giving the application root acces by doing that, so it can do what it wants when it wants. In other words if you need it to run it, something is wrong with HFM. NO windows application should need root access to run in windows.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Alright, I installed HFM.NET. Thanks for the guide.

Now, who can figure this one out:
When I try to add a client and try navigate to the various clients on my home network, I cannot, at least not in HFM.NET. All the computers, Linux and Windows, show and are accessible in Places>Networks, but when I "Browse for Folder" in the HFM client configuration window, "My Network" won't even open.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

Alright, I installed HFM.NET. Thanks for the guide.
Now, who can figure this one out:
When I try to add a client and try navigate to the various clients on my home network, I cannot, at least not in HFM.NET. All the computers, Linux and Windows, show and are accessible in Places>Networks, but when I "Browse for Folder" in the HFM client configuration window, "My Network" won't even open.
you have to mount the remote location as a place on your machine:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/04/how-to-permanently-mount-samba-shares-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-narwhal/

above is for 11.04 (not sure if its different for other distros/versions). i had this applied when i wrote the guide, but i'm running HFM from a windows machine now. i can switch over to ubuntu to troubleshoot it if you can't get it worked out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am rather inexperienced with command line, whether Linux, DOS, or whatever usage. Sorry to be a pain, but CLI is still a difficult, hazy process for me.

The guide you linked was plain to me, until I got to this passage:
Quote:
//SERVER/shares /MOUNTPOINT smbfs username=user,password=pass 0 0
OK, one of the Windows clients I need to monitor:

computer name: MAX
account name/user name: all
SMP2 client location: C:\SMP2

So, would the quoted line need to be changed to this: "//MAX/shares /C:/SMP2 smbfs username=all,password=[something] 0 0"?

One of the Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) clients I need to monitor:

computer name: MAX2
host name/user name: all
SMP2 installation folder: folder "fah" under host ("all")

So, would the command look like this: "//MAX2/shares /all/fah smbfs username=all,password=[something] 0 0

·
Registered
155 Posts
OK, I think I got the right command verbiage. I got the Folding folder from the host Windows machine to show up in the Linux Home Folder, but it had no contents when I opened it. When I selected the the Folder when adding a new HFM client, it displayed all the correct fields, but they had no data.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.