Overclock.net banner

Ubuntu NAS ?

444 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  enorbet2
Hello,

I am trying to build a "home server" for backup purposes on my local network. Long story short, I've taken an old computer, installed ubuntu desktop, put a 1TB SSD in as a secondary drive (formatted as NTFS)

Goal:
  • Access, Read, Write files/folder to the drive from other computers (windows, mac)
  • Have different logins or passwords for each shared folder
e.g
The 1 TB SSD contains 3 folders "User1" , "User2", "User3" I dont want User2 to have access to the files of User1, each folder should password protected somehow

Problem
If I format the secondary drive as NTFS, I cant use ubuntu's user groups functionality, I can mount the folders on other computers but every folder is accessible by the same user
If I format it as ext4 I am able to use the user groups functionality but I can not mount the folders on other computers (win, mac)

I am looking for a GUI solution
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Hello,

I am trying to build a "home server" for backup purposes on my local network. Long story short, I've taken an old computer, installed ubuntu desktop, put a 1TB SSD in as a secondary drive (formatted as NTFS)

Goal:
  • Access, Read, Write files/folder to the drive from other computers (windows, mac)
e.g
The 1 TB SSD contains 3 folders "User1" , "User2", "User3" I dont want User2 to have access to the files of User1, each folder should password protected somehow

Problem
If I format the secondary drive as NTFS, I cant use ubuntu's user groups functionality, I can mount the folders on other computers but every folder is accessible by the same user
If I format it as ext4 I am able to use the user groups functionality but I can not mount the folders on other computers (win, mac)

Have you considered a samba server that has mutple shares such as user 1 user 2 and user 3 with different login

· Top kek
3,603 Posts
Hello,

Goal:
e.g

Problem

For what reason are you trying to use NTFS as a file system?

Also, you said NAS, but did not mention the desired protocol - SMB or NFS.

Please clarify those first.

Also.... you are using "must have GUI" and "Linux" in 1 sentence...

· 10 year OCN Vet
3,445 Posts
It is probably a good idea, especially with a fairly simple system (ie - one drive), to familiarize yourself with NFS setup and configuration. A bit more to what OP has asked for, GUI, 2 decent solutions available in most repositories, are Cockpit and Synology

1 - 8 of 8 Posts