Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a build of ubuntu on my 4GB flash drive so i can use the school computers without taking 20minutes to log into the network.

Found this guide, would it work or is there an easier way? I don't need/want an install option, just for it to boot into ubuntu.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...-the-easy-way/

Rep+ for useful posts.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
My advice.... Don't do it. Flash drives are too slow to handle full-fledged distros. Even Xubuntu sucked on mine. If you really want to use a flash drive distro, look into DSL or puppy or something like that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Higgins

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really need a full-fledged distro, just open office and firefox.. i don't need ubuntu but wouldnt a flash drive be much faster than a liveCD?

EDIT: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ ?

I'm open to anything, i'm just familiar with ubuntu.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
You probably don't even want to run OOo. Try to find some of the smaller-sized office programs, maybe Koffice, but I'm sure there are others designed to run on slower-speced systems.

·
Premium Member
14,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner
View Post

You probably don't even want to run OOo. Try to find some of the smaller-sized office programs, maybe Koffice, but I'm sure there are others designed to run on slower-speced systems.

Yeah, OOo is a dog even at version 3. I would look at Abiword for a text editor.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Honestly even the fastest USB drive will limit your speed in the OS because they aren't as fast and a traditional hard drive in read and writing speeds.

~B~

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
As was said before, http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ is a great resource. I had Ubuntu 7.10 on a 1gb flash drive for EXACTLY the same purpose you are looking to do. To be honest, the flash drive was fast enough and the portability was awesome. OOo came with the distro and was part of the install. As far as the process to make an Ubuntu flash drive, it is easy. You just make 2 partitons, one of which is for the live CD files to be coppied to and the other to be the persistent partition. It took me all of 20 minutes just to make it. Also with 4gb you have more than enough space left to store files.

In fact, I think I might make a new one right now!

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i'm going to mess around with some of the other distros you guys are talking about, but i had a Mint 6 iso on my laptop so i slapped that into the flash drive and its not that bad after it boots up.

Does anyone know about how i would go about printing off a network printer?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Does anyone know about how i would go about printing off a network printer?
In your own house? Use CUPS. I'm assuming you're wanting to print off of a printer connected to a windows PC (relay the print to the windows computer).

1. Go to 127.0.0.1:631
2. Go to Admin > Add Printer
3. Give it the name/description stuff
4. For the printer's address, use smb://<workgroup name>/<computer's name>/<printer's name>
5. Choose the printer driver

That should be it. I did it just yesterday.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually i wanted the print off the school's networked printer, but for now i don't need this at school. I'll try pendrivelinux2008 and see if that boots up faster, but a 10min boot time takes away the whole point i was trying to accomplish: booting faster.

Repped you all, many thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Actually i wanted the print off the school's networked printer, but for now i don't need this at school. I'll try pendrivelinux2008 and see if that boots up faster, but a 10min boot time takes away the whole point i was trying to accomplish: booting faster.

Repped you all, many thanks.
Pendrive or DSL or Puppy will all load really quickly. Heck, for how small they are, just use all three.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts