Overclock.net banner

Ubuntu on USB drive?

593 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  IEATFISH
I'm looking to put a build of ubuntu on my 4GB flash drive so i can use the school computers without taking 20minutes to log into the network.

Found this guide, would it work or is there an easier way? I don't need/want an install option, just for it to boot into ubuntu.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...-the-easy-way/

Rep+ for useful posts.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
13,477 Posts
My advice.... Don't do it. Flash drives are too slow to handle full-fledged distros. Even Xubuntu sucked on mine. If you really want to use a flash drive distro, look into DSL or puppy or something like that.

• Rep+
Reactions: Higgins

· Premium Member
13,477 Posts
You probably don't even want to run OOo. Try to find some of the smaller-sized office programs, maybe Koffice, but I'm sure there are others designed to run on slower-speced systems.

· Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
Does anyone know about how i would go about printing off a network printer?
In your own house? Use CUPS. I'm assuming you're wanting to print off of a printer connected to a windows PC (relay the print to the windows computer).

1. Go to 127.0.0.1:631
2. Go to Admin > Add Printer
3. Give it the name/description stuff
4. For the printer's address, use smb://<workgroup name>/<computer's name>/<printer's name>
5. Choose the printer driver

That should be it. I did it just yesterday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.