Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might already know this, this is for those who might not. I have been overclocking on a EP45-UD3R for more than a year now. I've always kept the BIOS that came with my board(F5) as it caused me no considerable problems.

I bought a Q9550 about a month ago and overclocked it easily to 4Ghz 471x8.5 and was quite satisfied for a while... We all know what happens next, the need to go further. It seemed by board would not boot and ounce past 4ghz with a 471 fsb even though I was running relatively low volts to achieve 4ghz (1.31vcore). The FSB wall seemed unbreakable no matter how many volts I threw at it.

For some reason I had the idea last night to update the BIOS on my mobo to F11. After the bios update, I could boot into windows at 4.25ghz with a 500fsb! So I tried a 533fsb, bam, booted into windows at 4.5ghz at 1.31vcore. Now these clocks weren't stable, but it goes to show that the FSB "moat" I was running into before was evaporated by this BIOS update. Hope this helps some of you on your quest for high clocks!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I can second this. I hit a wall with my E8400 at around 500 Mhz, nothing stable.

I too updated to F11 (there is an F12 out now) and overclocking became a bit easier. Then I purchased my Q9550 not too long ago, look at what I can hit on that sucker!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

I can second this. I hit a wall with my E8400 at around 500 Mhz, nothing stable.

I too updated to F11 (there is an F12 out now) and overclocking became a bit easier. Then I purchased my Q9550 not too long ago, look at what I can hit on that sucker!!!

You were the inspiration behind me flashing to F11! Haha thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
SO how high can you get stable on the UD3R + Q9550??

I know 3.9 is about the limit for the UD3L with reasonable voltage.. I can do 4.12 Prime smal fft's, and can run all apps and games.. But it fails Prime blend & IBT....

I am looking into a UD3P and planning on doing a complete comparison.. I think the lack of an 8 pin cpu power input on the L is the holding back point..

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags View Post
So higher FSB/lower multiplier = better overclock at lower volts?

?? I don't understand? Was that question for me? As far as how much higher than 4ghz i can go, not sure yet, it's st. pattys and I've already delved into the festivities. Probably should put some caution tape around my rig....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10acjed View Post
SO how high can you get stable on the UD3R + Q9550??

I know 3.9 is about the limit for the UD3L with reasonable voltage.. I can do 4.12 Prime smal fft's, and can run all apps and games.. But it fails Prime blend & IBT....

I am looking into a UD3P and planning on doing a complete comparison.. I think the lack of an 8 pin cpu power input on the L is the holding back point..
In retrospect, I wish I had picked up a UD3P. ARGH! Seems the UD3R and P overclock as equals but i'd like some xfire action.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts