Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is me. I am getting an HP 430 g3 laptop which is the first UEFI system i'll be using.

-Does it have both BIOS or UEFI,
-Are there advantages/disadvantages tousing either/or?
-Do i have to take any nesecary steps when setting a new OS installation on UEFI.

What else does this UEFI virgin ned to know.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
1. Since it's a modern laptop, it will be UEFI.
2. I've heard of some devices not allowing you to disable Secureboot, but apart from that I'm not aware of disadvantages. If you boot in UEFI mode with the OS installed for UEFI, then you can get very fast boot times with Win8 and up.
3. You can still install the OS normally if you want, or you can set the drive to GPT for a true UEFI install (see point 2).

If you need more info, just ask.

And lastly, keep in mind all info is per my own (fairly limited) experience so it might not be complete.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since its app driven isnt it an easier target for malware infections though. So do i really need GPT for faster times. I thought GPT was only for large partitions of 4TB or more. I am going to be using a 256 m2 ssd.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
You can get fast boot times with MBR, but if I recall correctly it's even faster with GPT. Since you're speaking of m.2 though, I doubt it'll make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok and finally can i intiialise the disk as GPT from within the Windows 8/10 installation or does it have to be from within a running operating system? Also the laptop comes preintalled with a FREEDos HDD. If i format the freedos drive from withing the instalation will i have a corupt MBR?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,871 Posts
I can't remember the exact procedure for changing the drive to GPT, but if I recall correctly you have to do it before installing Windows. Also, changing it will destroy all data so make sure there's nothing of value on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts