Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, pretty damn frustrated at this point and before I do anything stupid I thought I'd ask for help.

I got my new machine (in sig) up & running this week. Fresh install of Windows 7 x64 on an SSD. Everything has been going really smooth until today. I got Win installed, optimized and ready for a disc image, which is where the trouble started.

I wanted to save the image to a USB flash drive (even bought one for this purpose) only to find that Win 7 doesn't let you do that. Not sure why, but OK.... So the only suitable drive I have laying around that will work is an 80GB HDD from my old laptop. I thought I could plug it into the hot swap bay, boot into Win 7 and format the drive to get it ready for the image. BUT the machine refused to boot from the SSD and instead tried to repair Windows XP. The ONLY way I could boot into Win7 was by enabling hot-swap on the HDD and plugging it in AFTER getting into Win7.

Once I got there I formatted the HDD. All good, right? No... when the drive is plugged in the computer STILL wants to boot into XP, even though there's NOTHING left on the drive. If I unplug the HDD, the computer boots fine. ***???
doh.gif

When looking at the files on the SSD, many of them show being last modified in 2009 (when I had my laptop). Is there a possibility the boot issues ruined my Win7 system files???? Does that mean (dramatic pause) I have to reinstall/reoptimize/reinstall Win 7 drivers from scratch? Say it ain't so...

mad.gif

Kyle

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by She loved E View Post

Are you saying I should do that now or I should have done that to begin with?
you can do this now.... it does not matter...

2009 its good!!! its wen win 7 was build
thumb.gif

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:

ok, just tried it and i get...
"BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
any ideas?
its not booting from SSD where you have your windows installed....

BOOTMGR is missing its from empty HDD

·
Registered
221 Posts
usual BIOS have 2 menus for boot

1 - where use set HDD>DVD

2nd where use set priority of you HDDs like SDD>HDD

try 2nd menu... if this does not help you need to re-install....

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, not sure what that means. In the ASUS UEFI BIOS there's a few ways to change boot order/priority... I've tried them all.

I'm going to long format the HDD (did quick last time). If that doesn't fix this I think I'll start from scratch and reinstall Win7 as I don't want this to become an issue down the road. I was so close...
sad-smiley-002.gif

+1 for the help
smile.gif

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
lol. when you install a new ssd or a new hdd you cant expect windows to automatically jump over there. thats why you got the BOOTMGR error.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Except that's exactly what it did. I started with a clean install on a clean SSD and had it working great. UNTIL I put in the old HDD w/XP.
well yeah. clean install. it probably got mixed up and designated the old HDD as the primary boot device.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts